Keep BBL window for Aust stars: Hazlewood

Rob Forsaith
Josh Hazlewood will feature in at least five games for the Sixers this season

Josh Hazlewood hopes the influx of Australia's best cricketers this BBL season doesn't prove a one-off and reckons a regular window at the business end of the tournament would be a good idea.

Hazlewood will feature in at least five games for Sydney Sixers this season, having previously gone almost four years without playing a Twenty20 at any level.

A hamstring injury allowed the paceman to play two BBL matches before departing for India but his current availability is thanks to a rare window in a cramped international calendar.

Justin Langer's team, having returned last week from an ODI series in India, don't have another international commitment until their limited-overs tour of South Africa starts on February 21.

Next summer marks the 10th edition of the BBL and Cricket Australia is keen to ensure as many of the nation's best players are available for at least some part of the competition.

"It's hard isn't it with scheduling? Obviously international cricket takes priority, Test matches especially," Hazlewood said.

"But I think a little window around this time (would work well), towards the back end of the tournament into finals. If all the Australian players are available I think it really strengthens our competition.

"Sometimes the international players from other countries have to miss this stretch, such as Tom Curran.

"So if we can come in as almost a straight swap, we're not really kicking anyone else out of the team."

Hazlewood's pace colleagues Pat Cummins and Mitchell Starc opted against making BBL returns this summer.

"As fast bowlers, you have to take that rest when you can sometimes. The hamstring injury probably helped me in that sense," Hazlewood said.

"I'm a bit fresher now, whereas those guys played all the Tests and one-dayers. They're having a well-earned break."