- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Melbourne second-rower Felise Kaufusi has avoided a fine for his elbow to Sam Walker's head, found not guilty of a dangerous contact charge at the NRL judiciary.
Kaufusi fronted the judiciary via video link on Tuesday night, arguing he should not have to pay a $2,500 fine after bumping Walker off in a tackle.
Running with ball in hand, Kaufusi first made contact with Walker's head in the hit-up before the Sydney Roosters five-eighth had his head pushed towards the ground.
Kaufusi's charge had raised eyebrows with Andrew Johns maintaining if the match review committee had accused him of dangerous contact it should have come with a ban.
"They've pretty much said he is guilty, so you elbow someone in the head and you get a fine," Johns said on Nine on Sunday.
"So $1,800 - I think Felise should buy himself a lottery ticket. Very lucky there."
But the NRL's judiciary agreed with Kaufusi's stance that any contact had been accidental, finding him not guilty.
The verdict could also prove crucial for the Queensland State of Origin star later this season.
With players facing a ban for even some minor grade-one charges on their third and subsequent offences each season, Kaufusi can count himself lucky as he already has one blemish on his record this year.
But the not guilty call means Kaufusi still has one more fine up his sleeve before he reaches that point.