Jensen re-signs with Broncos, Kevin Walters next
Brisbane have re-signed forward Corey Jensen for two years, with coach Kevin Walters set to follow suit in the next week.
Jensen has agreed a new deal until the end of 2025, while the Broncos' season launch on Thursday night was abuzz with the news of Walters' impending commitment to the club.
Meanwhile, star fullback Reece Walsh trained on Friday in modified headgear as he raced against the clock to recover from a cheek fracture in time for the round one NRL clash with Penrith.
The headgear had extra padding over his left cheek but Walsh appeared to move freely. A decision on his availability will be made by Broncos medical staff next week.
The 29-year-old Jensen's new deal followed hot on the heels of the extension of hooker Cory Paix the day before.
But the Broncos missed out on extending star centre Herbie Farnworth, who on Thursday was confirmed as a Dolphin from 2024 on a three-year deal.
The Broncos will now turn their attention to wrapping up off-contract prop Thomas Flegler.
AAP has been told the Brisbane hierarchy want to provide stability and reward Walters for his work in turning around a side that finished last in 2020.
The Broncos ended in ninth place last year after a late-season fade but the coach has improved many of his players.
Jensen - who arrived in Brisbane from North Queensland last year - identified himself as one of them, and credited Walters for taking his game to the next level.
"He gives a lift to everyone in the side and allows you to back your own ability," Jensen said.
"I know myself that my game is good enough and he keeps instilling that in me."
Jensen said he had been keen to get his deal done before season kick-off against Penrith.
"When (contract talks) came around I knew that I wanted to stay here. It was pretty simple, " he said.
"The nucleus of the squad has been here for over 12 months now.
"The longer we can keep the same boys together the better it will be for us as a group."