Jelena Dokic's telling response to Nick Kyrgios' Australian Open news

The former Australian player was quick to defend his shock decision.

Former tennis player Jelena Dokic (pictured right) during commentary and (pictured left) Nick Kyrgios during a press conference.
Former tennis player Jelena Dokic (pictured right) has defended Nick Kyrgios (pictured left) over his late decision to withdraw from the Australian Open. (Getty Images)

Aussie commentator Jelena Dokic has jumped to the defence of Nick Kyrgios after he was forced to withdraw from this year's Australian Open. Kyrgios left his fanbase in shock on Monday after announcing he hadn't recovered from a knee injury in time to participate at Melbourne Park.

The devastating blow came after Kyrgios had missed the United Cup and Adelaide International earlier this month with an ankle issue. The enigmatic 27-year-old's withdrawal is a huge blow to the Australian Open and broadcasters due to the audience he attracts.

TOUGH: Kyrgios under fire over glaring detail in Australian Open withdrawal

NICE: Iga Swiatek's touching nod to Ash Barty after Aus Open victory

Following his devastating news, Australian tennis great Todd Woodbridge questioned whether Kyrgios had planned his schedule correctly for this year's grand slam due to his injury. Despite the doubles great raising some doubt, former Aussie tennis player Dokic jumped to the defence of Kyrgios.

Speaking on Tuesday, Dokic said Kyrgios had made the right decision and risked hurting himself even more if he pushed through the pain.

"I don't think he had any choice actually, because I don't think he could out there and play on the knee," Dokic told Channel Nine. "I don't think it was about protecting it, I think it was about the fact that he really wasn't able to get out there and play.

"Definitely wasn't in good enough shape to do it. A wise decision."

Earlier, Woodbridge questioned whether Kyrgios should have played the exhibition events in December rather than resting up before the Australian summer.

Nick Kyrgios made huge call ahead of Australian Open

Kyrgios and his physio revealed that the Aussie star had a cyst growing on his left meniscus which will require arthroscopy surgery. He took to social media to explain how hard it was to make the call.

"Trust me, my heart is broken," Kyrgios said on Twitter on Monday night. "But I'm on the table Monday to get fixed, I'll be back!"

The Australian fronted the media and said the decision was for his own benefit and he was forced to block out the outside noise.

"There's always outside noise, especially with me," Kyrgios said. "Like seeing people, past players saying 'he's doing his own thing.'

Nick Kyrgios (pictured) speaks at an Australian Open press conference.
Nick Kyrgios (pictured) said it was hard pulling out of the Australia Open. (Photo by SAEED KHAN/AFP via Getty Images)

"Like, I'm dealing with my problems and this was something that I was just dealing with as well as managing expectation, trying to get my body right, trying to feel good about my game. There were just so many things that I was dealing with."

Kyrgios said he had the full support of his team over the decision.

"Yeah, we were dealing with a lot, but we have a good system in place and we came to this decision together. It was mainly driven by me, but I have their support and we feel like we're making the right decision. But players have no idea what I deal with, that's for sure."

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.