Irish Cup: Glens hit six in win over Ballymacash to make quarter-finals

Glentoran advanced to the Irish Cup quarter-finals after a comfortable 6-1 victory against Ballymacash Rangers at the Bluebell Stadium.

Goals from Shay McCartan, Niall McGinn, Marcus Kane and David Fisher gave the Glens a 4-0 lead at the break in Lisburn.

Daire O'Connor added a fifth before Carl McComb pulled one back for the hosts.

Bobby Burns sealed a comprehensive victory for the 23-times winners.

It was the perfect start for the away side, who opened the scoring on the 10th minute when McCartan connected with O'Connor's low cross from the right and his side-footed effort found the back of the net.

Glentoran doubled their lead in some style when McGinn's unstoppable strike from just inside the box flew into the top corner.

Warren Feeney's men continued to be clinical and extended their lead in the 38th minute after Ballymacash failed to deal with McGinn's quick free-kick.

Jay Donnelly attempted to connect with the delivery but missed. However, captain Marcus Kane slotted home at the back post from point-blank range.

the away side were awarded a penalty four minutes before the break when Brian Neeson brought Seanan Clucas down inside the penalty box.

Fisher made no mistake with the resulting spot kick and fired down the middle and past Neeson, who had dived to his left.

Just after the restart, O'Connor made it 5-0 from close range after connecting with Jonny Russell's looping cross to the back post.

Lee Forsythe's team got on the scoresheet on the 59th minute when McComb side footed Jack Smith's low cross past Oliver Webber.

The goals weren't done there as Burns scored Glentoran's sixth, firing home from point-blank range from Aaron Wightman's clever cut-back.

The Glens had a goal disallowed after McCartan latched onto a through ball and fired past Neeson, but he was offside.

It was the second goal they had chalked off after O'Connor's effort earlier in the half had also been ruled out.