Ipswich given all-clear to continue racing

Mark Oberhardt

Ipswich Turf Club's troubled racetrack has been declared safe to hold its next meeting on Wednesday.

The track was closed for five months for an upgrade in October and resumed racing in early April.

No meetings have been lost since then but on several occasions there have been disruptions due to complaints from jockeys about safety issues.

There have been delays while the rail has been moved to avoid racing on parts of the track and distances have been changed for some races.

Stewards, club officials, Racing Queensland staff and jockeys representatives inspected the track late last week.

A Racing Queensland spokesman said a small area of the track previously in need of remedial work had been cleared as safe to race.

"Accordingly, it will not be necessary to make any amendments to the programme for the race meeting," he said.

Ipswich is vital to racing in southeast Queensland as it bears much of the burden for midweek meetings.