The AFL's new player exchange period could run as short as four days or last months.
AFL football operations manager Steve Hocking remains open-minded on how the proposal should work and confident it will be in place next year.
It will be a major agenda item for the league's new Competition Committee, which will meet for the first time on May 10.
"I'm fairly confident it will happen next year, it's just what form," Hocking said on Tuesday.
"We've got to get away from 'a decision is made and it's done' - the game changes and so it's a work in progress and it's something you continue to re-evaluate, consider and develop.
"It could be, as an example, from January right through until June.
"That's one of the options, there are many options - it could be four days."
Hocking is confident that whatever the change is, it will go ahead.
Non-Victorian clubs have raised concerns they would be at disadvantaged because of player relocation.
Meanwhile, Hocking said the umpire made the right call not paying St Kilda's Jake Carlisle a free kick at the end of the draw against GWS.
Footage shows GWS defender Phil Davis probably caught Carlisle high with his spoil but the umpire couldn't see it.
Had Carlisle been paid a free kick, he would have been within range of goal.
"From where the umpire was standing, that wasn't a free," Hocking said.
"But there's no doubt if you slow the vision down ... potentially, it's a touch high.
"In that case, the umpire got it right."
Hocking also is keeping a watching brief on lower scores so far this season.
He said average scores were 85.9, down from last year's 89, despite the better early-season weather.
Inside 50s are up on average, while stoppages and turnovers are about the same.
There is a noticeable trend of repeat stoppages inside 50m.
"Is it a bother? There's definitely something in that, that we need to unpack," Hocking said.
"We have a team on it.
"The pressure around the ball is far greater than it's ever been ... it's extraordinary."