Jonas defends medicos after AFL head clash

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Port Adelaide captain Tom Jonas and teammate Zak Butters were cleared of concussion after a graphic head clash in their AFL loss to Richmond.

And Jonas says he and Butters weren't pressured into returning to action despite their clash coming when the MCG fixture was in the balance.

Both players suffered facial bleeding from the incident which happened when Port were two points down with about 14 minutes remaining in Thursday night's game.

Port's doctor Mark Fisher examined the pair on the bench and decided not to to put the two players through 20-minute concussion protocols, which would have ended their match.

The AFL has supported the doctor's assessment, finding "there was no clinical indication of concussion that warranted further investigation and testing".

"The AFL is satisfied that the club complied with the AFL's concussion guidelines in the management of the players," an AFL spokesman said.

Jonas said he and Butters weren't pressured to return to action.

"They (medicos) basically ask where you are, what's your birthday, who is your significant other, what's your phone number all those sort of things," Jonas told Triple M radio.

" ... In terms of last night, there was absolutely no pressure from the (coaches) box for us to get back on.

"Particularly in my role as a players association board delegate, I appreciate the gravity and seriousness of the concussion issue.

"So there was no pressure to go on and I wouldn't have gone on if I felt like I was putting the doctors, the club and the competition at risk given all the great work we have done in that area.

"The doctors ... say 'we have assessed the footage and there is nothing on there that would indicate a concussion'."

Port had already used their medical substitute when the incident happened, prompting some commentators to question why Jonas and Butters weren't placed under the 20-minute concussion protocol.

Power coach Ken Hinkley bristled at questioning of Fisher's handling of the situation.

Hinkley stressed he had full faith in Fisher and football manager Chris Davies who were on the bench as the two bloodied players left the field.

"I have a doctor who has been with our footy club for 25 years and the conversation between our doctor and our football manager (Davies) ... was these boys, they have no issue with concussion," Hinkley said post-match.

"So if anyone has a challenge on that, and they feel more qualified than Mark Fisher ... feel free.

"But I think you need to be really, really sure, that you're not trying to umpire or make some calls from outside the fence when you have no knowledge.

"Do you think a doctor of 25 years would take a risk with concussion, with the seriousness of the injuries that go on now with concussion?"

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting