Hayne’s two-word post after charges dropped

Jarryd Hayne posted a photo with his wife after charges were dropped.
Jarryd Hayne posted a photo with his wife after charges were dropped.

Former NRL star Jarryd Hayne posted an emotional photo of him kissing his wife at the Sydney Opera House just hours after sexual assault charges were formally dropped inside a Sydney court on Friday.

The 36-year-old, who was released from prison earlier this month after having his convictions quashed, captioned the image “my queen” alongside a heart emoji as he celebrated his wife Amelia Bonnici, who he married in 2020.

Hayne’s post on Facebook was flooded with hundreds of messages of support, with many fans urging the former Eels fullback to enjoy his time with family after years spent in jail.

It comes just two days after Hayne couldn’t contain his excitement on Wednesday night as he posted on social media while watching his beloved NSW Blues take down the Maroons in Origin Game 2.

“Trelly mitt!!!” the former NSW player wrote on Facebook as the Rabbitohs star ran riot in the first half.

Jarryd Hayne leaves court for the final time on Friday. Picture: NewsWire / John Appleyard

Just hours before Hayne’s Harbour Bridge image was taken on Friday, he had thanked supporters and loved ones after charges were formally dropped against him.

Three days after the Director of Public Prosecutions announced they would not pursue a fourth trial against the former Parramatta and Gold Coast fullback, Hayne and his lawyers appeared in Sydney’s Downing Centre District Court on Friday.

Judge Craig Everson was told the DPP had dropped two counts of sexual intercourse without consent.

Judge Everson told the court that all proceedings against Mr Hayne had been discontinued.

“Yeah obviously excited,” Mr Hayne said outside court, looking relieved as he walked out of the complex alongside his barrister Margaret Cunneen SC and solicitor Lauren MacDougall.

“I stayed true to myself the whole time, the whole process. Today is a vindication for myself and my family and my loved ones.

“I want to say thank you to all those that supported me from day one, stood by me and stood next to me.”

At one point Mr Hayne stopped as he appeared to become emotional and lost for words, wiping his eyes.

Mr Hayne at times appeared to become emotional as he thanked supporters. Picture: NewsWire/John Appleyard
He tanked those who had stood by him and God. Picture: NewsWire/John Appleyard

“It’s been a rollercoaster. The boys on the inside that stood by me, mates on the outside and everyone that stood shoulder to shoulder with me, I appreciate that.

“Thinking about everyone that prayed for me, I thank God for keeping me safe, not only myself but my wife as well, what she had to go through.

“It’s been tough. I’m just thankful today for all the support.”

Mr Hayne then moved to walk off with his legal team and wife but journalists lobbed a series of questions at him.

Asked if he would return to football, Mr Hayne said with a laugh: “I look like a front-rower.”

Mr Hayne has not played professional rugby league since September 2018, when he made his final appearance for the Eels.

His playing career ultimately ended when he was charged in November, 2018.

He could still joke about himself. Picture: NewsWire / John Appleyard

Hayne has consistently denied the allegations and has twice had his conviction overturned by the Court of Criminal Appeal.

He was released from prison earlier this month after having his convictions quashed.

He spent more than a year behind bars after a jury in April 2023 found him guilty of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent.

The Officer of the Director of Public Prosecutions on Tuesday confirmed in a statement he would not face a fourth trial.

“Having carefully considered the many competing factors that inform the assessment of the public interest in this case, the ODPP has determined not to proceed to a fourth trial against Mr Hayne,” the DPP said.

Mr Hayne was released from prison earlier this month. Picture: NewsWire/John Appleyard.

The two-time Dally M winner and NFL convert has consistently denied the allegations and claimed the sexual encounter, inside the woman’s Newcastle home on NRL grand final night in 2018, was entirely consensual

His first trial in 2021 resulted in a hung jury and following a second trial he was found guilty, however the verdict was quashed on appeal.

Following a third trial, a jury accepted the woman’s version of events that she repeatedly said “no” and “stop”.

However, the state’s highest court quashed Mr Hayne’s conviction after it ruled the trial judge erred by not allowing further examination of the complainant.

The appeal was upheld in a 2-1 majority decision by the Court of Criminal Appeal.

In her portion of the judgment, Justice Deborah Sweeney said the guilty verdicts were unreasonable and said she was “of the view there is a significant possibility that an innocent person has been convicted”.

- with NCA Newswire