Harris 'comfortable' with pre-Ashes form

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Former Test opener Chris Rogers has backed Marcus Harris to seize his chance at the top of Australia's Ashes batting order despite the left-hander's patchy Sheffield Shield form of late.

Harris is almost certain to resume his partnership with David Warner when the highly-anticipated series against England begins at the Gabba on December 8.

The 29-year-old banked a century in Victoria's first Shield match against NSW but has tallied just 10 runs in his three other innings - all against the Blues - for an average of 36.75 this season.

At the MCG this month, Harris was out for one and a duck.

But Victoria coach Rogers said Harris is "pretty comfortable with where he's at" after enjoying a productive winter of county cricket with Leicestershire.

"He's played a lot of cricket lately and from my own personal experience that gives you so much confidence knowing that you know how to score runs and you've scored a lot of runs recently," Rogers said.

"That's going to hold him in good stead.

"He got a beautiful hundred in Sydney in that second innings (last month) and he probably didn't get the runs in the second match (at the MCG).

"But that pitch was a new-ball pitch and if you could use the new ball it was always going to be really difficult for opening batsmen.

"He got a couple of good balls and I don't think that he's particularly concerned with that.

"He's pretty confident in how he's playing and he may not have thought he might get this next chance, so I know he'll be really approaching it in a positive manner."

Harris averages 23.77 in his 10-Test career to date, with his top score of 79 coming against India at the SCG in 2019.

After a 16-month absence, he was recalled by Australia in January as a replacement for Will Pucovski, who suffered a shoulder injury and is now unavailable because of concussion symptoms.

Harris made scores of five and 38 on return against India at the Gabba in what remains Australia's most recent Test outing.

When announcing the squad for the first two Ashes Tests on Wednesday, chairman of selectors George Bailey indicated Harris is a strong chance to retain his spot in the team.

"He's done everything that we'd asked in terms of scoring a mountain of domestic runs," Bailey said.

"He's gone away (and) he's had a really good strong winter playing for Leicester as well, so he just continues to do all the right things domestically.

"We'd love nothing more than being able to back him in and give him an extended run at the top of the order.

"We know how important opening partnerships are.

"Trying to (find) someone to forge a really strong relationship with Davey (Warner) at the top is really important for our Test team."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting