Haaland hits five as Man City hammer Leipzig in ECL

Erling Haaland has scored a record-equalling five goals in a Champions League match to lead Manchester City into the quarter-finals.

Haaland was substituted after 63 minutes against RB Leipzig on Tuesday night, with City leading 6-0 on the night.

It finished 7-0 and 8-1 on aggregate with captain Ilkay Gundogay and Kevin De Bruyne also netting with the last kick of the game.

"It's a big night. I'm really proud to play in the Champions League - I love this competition, as everybody knows. Five goals, to win 7-0 in this competition - I'm really happy," Haaland said.

The Norway international became the fastest player to reach 30 goals in the competition when putting the English champions 2-0 up in the round-of-16 second leg at Etihad Stadium.

At 22 years, 236 days old, he is also the youngest player to reach that landmark, surpassing Kylian Mbappe, who was 22 years, 352 days when he scored his 30th Champions League goal.

But Haaland, who had fired City ahead from the penalty spot after 22 minutes, wasn't finished with his double. He completed his hat-trick just before halftime to give Pep Guardiola's team a 3-0 lead at the break.

With his father, former City player Alf Inge, cheering in the crowd, Haaland scored his fourth in the 54th and his fifth in the 57th.

Lionel Messi and Luiz Adriano are the only other players to have scored five goals in a Champions League match.

"It doesn't feel good. I don't want to look for excuses. It hurts," Leipzig midfielder Emil Forsberg admitted.

"City did well, they have a fantastic team. We have to be honest: we did not have a chance."

In the night's other match, FC Porto were held to a 0-0 draw at home by Inter Milan meaning the Italian club progressed to the quarter-finals for the first time in more than a decade 1-0 on aggregate.

Heroic defending and the woodwork helped Inter join city rivals AC Milan in the final eight. Napoli could become the third Italian team in the quarters when they play Eintracht Frankfurt on Wednesday.

All the drama was saved for the end. Porto poured forward in the seven minutes of added time at the Estadio Do Dragao and had three incredible chances in the space of a minute. Ivan Marcano's shot was cleared off the line by Inter defender Denzel Dumfries, before goalkeeper Andre Onana pushed Mehdi Taremi's header onto his post and, moments later, a Marko Grujic header came off the crossbar.

Porto defender Pepe was then sent off following a second yellow card.

"In soccer, luck matters relatively," Inter coach Simone Inzaghi said.

"I think that over the both legs we deserved to get to the quarter-finals, we didn't concede a goal in the 180 minutes against a team that's used to playing these sort of matches."

Inter advanced to the final eight for the first time since going out at that stage as the defending champion in 2011.