'Have to stop him': Golf legend extradited on disturbing charges

·Sports Reporter
·4-min read
Former US Open winner Angel Cabrera has been extradited to his native Argentina from Brazil over domestic violence charges. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Former US Open winner Angel Cabrera has been extradited to his native Argentina from Brazil over domestic violence charges. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Former US Open and Masters winner Angel Cabrera has been extradited from Brazil to his homeland of Argentina to face a series of domestic violence charges.

The 51-year-old is facing assault charges filed by his former girlfriend Cecilia Torres Mana, as well as similar ones from former wife Silva Rivadero and former partner Micaela Escudero.

'SURREAL MOMENT': Golfer devastated after 'awful' mid-round news

BRUTAL: Tiger Woods' startling confession after horror car crash

They accuse Cabrera of assault, intimidation and causing injuries.

Cabrera travelled to the United States in 2020, against the wishes of Argentinian investigators who requested he remain in the country while inquiries were made.

He then proceeded on to Brazil, where he was taken in by police after an international warrant for his arrest was issued by Interpol.

Cabrera has denied any wrongdoing.

In a recent interview, Torres Mana said Cabrera was controlling.

"We have to stop him so he leaves us at peace. He thinks you are his for the rest of your life and that you have to take the attacks and constant humiliation," she said.

Cabrera's lawyer, Carlos Hairabedian, downplayed the allegations.

"The accusations come from long ago and he was not in jail because the facts attributed to him are insignificant," Hairabedian told TV Todo Noticias.

"They are light injuries."

One of the most accomplished golfers from South America, Cabrera won the US Open at Oakmont in 2007 by one shot over Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk.

He won the Masters in a playoff in 2009 and lost in a playoff at the Masters in 2013 to Australian Adam Scott.

Argentinian television networks on Tuesday showed Cabrera being handed over to local authorities in the border city of Puerto Iguazu.

He will be transported on Wednesday to his native Cordoba to face trial, expected to begin in July.

Jason Day to miss his first US Open in a decade

A lame and lowly-ranked Jason Day will miss his first major championship in almost a decade after being officially ruled out of this month's US Open at Torrey Pines.

Australia's former world No.1 has dropped out of the top 60, meaning he failed to gain direct entry, and opted out of this week's sectional qualifying event, preferring to receive treatment at home in Ohio for his chronic back injury.

Day hasn't missed a major since the 2012 British Open and has contested 10 consecutive US Opens since finishing second behind Rory McIlroy on debut in 2011.

Day's absence is the 33-year-old's latest setback after missed cuts at the past two Masters, the rescheduled 2020 edition in November and this year's in April.

He barely made the cut at last month's US PGA Championship, eventually sharing 44th spot - six years after hoisting the Wanamaker Trophy for his lone major championship triumph, then finishing runner-up in his title defence.

Jason Day is set to miss the US Open for the first time in 10 years. (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
Jason Day is set to miss the US Open for the first time in 10 years. (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)

Day is a two-time US Open runner-up as well as a two-time PGA Tour winner at Torrey Pines, where he also won the World Juniors before turning pro.

But languishing at 107th in the FedExCup standings, he's now in a battle to make the season-ending playoffs featuring the top 125 on the PGA Tour, and to be fit next month's British Open at Royal St George's.

Seven of Day's countrymen will tee off at Torrey Pines, including veteran former Australian Open champion Steve Allan, who successfully qualified with a four-under-par two-round total at Meadow Springs Country Club in Washington.

The 47-year-old will be making his sixth US Open appearance, but first since 2010.

He's missed the cut on three previous occasions, tied for 28th in 2005 and shared 42nd place in 1999, both at Pinehurst.

Allan will join PGA Tour stars Adam Scott, Marc Leishman, Cameron Smith and Matt Jones plus less-celebrated compatriots Wade Ormsby and Brad Kennedy at the year's third major starting on June 17.

With AAP

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting