Glasgow 17-13 Cardiff: Hosts rally to United Rugby Championship win with second-half comeback

Max Williamson's try sparked the Glasgow comeback
Max Williamson's try sparked the Glasgow comeback

United Rugby Championship: Glasgow Warriors v Cardiff

Glasgow Warriors: (0) 17

Tries: Williamson, Sordoni; Pen: Weir; Cons: Weir (2)

Cardiff: (13) 13

Try: Thomas; Pens: De Beer (2); Con: De Beer

Glasgow Warriors rallied from 13-0 down at half-time to secure victory over Cardiff and move up to second in the United Rugby Championship table.

A converted Ben Thomas try and two penalties from Tinus de Beer put the Welsh side in a strong position.

Max Williamson and Lucio Sordoni crossed early in the second half as the hosts turned the tide, with Duncan Weir kicking the rest of Glasgow's points.

Warriors move a point behind leaders Leinster, while Cardiff remain 12th.

A foul evening in Glasgow made life difficult for both teams early on but the home side had the worst of it, playing into a strong wind that made it hard to break out of their own territory.

De Beer booted Cardiff into an early lead and while they had to withstand a short period of pressure on their own line, Warriors' inability to deal with the conditions meant the Welsh side were comfortable in defence for the most part.

De Beer banged over another penalty to put the visitors 6-0 in front and they really should have burnished their advantage with a try, but two or three goes at the Glasgow line were repelled by stout defending.

The reprieve was only temporary. A great burst from Thomas Young cut through the Glasgow defence and some brilliant offloading set-up Thomas to go over.

Glasgow came roaring out the blocks after the break. Kyle Steyn made good inroads before Williamson surged to the line with tremendous power to give Franco Smith's men a much-needed foothold with his first try for the club.

The home side were warming to their task, with Jack Dempsey's powerful carrying in particular setting the agenda.

They were over again a few minutes later, Sordoni burrowing down from close range for his first try in Warriors colours, and Weir's conversion nudged Glasgow ahead for the first time.

The fly-half struck again with a penalty to make it a four-point game at 17-13.

Steyn thought he had put the match to bed by finishing off a lovely move, but the try was ruled out for a forward pass in the build-up from Josh McKay.

Glasgow needed another two tries for the bonus point that would have taken them top of the table, but that never really looked like materialising. From where they were at the break, four points was prize enough.

Glasgow Warriors: Josh McKay; Sebastian Cancelliere, Stafford McDowall, Tom Jordan, Kyle Steyn (capt); Duncan Weir, Jamie Dobie; Nathan McBeth, Johnny Matthews, Lucio Sordoni, Max Williamson, Alex Samuel, Euan Ferrie, Matt Fagerson, Jack Dempsey.

Replacements: Gregor Hiddleston, Allan Dell, Oli Kebble, Sintu Manjezi, Ally Miller, Henco Venter, George Horne, Duncan Munn.

Cardiff: Jacob Beetham; Mason Grady, Max Clark, Ben Thomas, Aled Summerhill; Tinus d Beer, E Bevan; Rhys Carre, Liam Belcher, Will Davies-King, Shane Lewis-Hughes, Teddy Williams, Ben Donnell, Thomas Young, MacKenzie Martin.

Replacements: Efan Daniel, Rhys Barratt, Ciaran Parker, Seb Davies, Ellis Jenkins, Matthew Aubrey, Willis Halaholo, Owen Lane.

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU)

Assistant referees: Mike Adamson & Sam O'Neil (SRU)

TMO: Colin Stanley (IRFU)