Italian tennis star Fabio Fognini has become the latest big name from the world of sport to test positive for COVID-19, following the news that soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo and world No.1 golfer Dustin Johnson have also been infected.
As the virus continued to wreak havoc throughout global sport, the flamboyant Fognini, the world No.16 player, revealed he was pulling out of the ATP Sardegna Open, where he was the top seed, after the test result came through on Wednesday morning.
"The symptoms are very light, a bit of a cough and temperature, headaches ... but unfortunately this bad news has come," the 33-year-old wrote on Instagram.
"I am already in isolation and I am convinced that I will recover very soon," he added.
Meanwhile, Portuguese Ronaldo, whose positive test was announced on Tuesday while he was on duty with the national squad, has returned to Italy to complete his quarantine, his Juventus club have reported.
The 35-year-old forward flew back to Turin from Lisbon airport in a private plane. ""Cristiano Ronaldo returned to Italy with a medical flight authorised by the competent health authorities at the request of the player and will continue his fiduciary isolation at his home," a club statement said.
Portugal coach Fernando Santos said he could not explain how Ronaldo came to be infected with the coronavirus while with the national squad but added that he was "doing well" and was symptom-free.
Ronaldo missed Wednesday's Nations League match with Sweden in Lisbon and he will miss club games for Juve, including in the Champions League as he isolates.
Juventus are also set to be without American midfielder Weston McKennie, who, it was announced on Wednesday, has also tested positive for the coronavirus, prompting the Serie A champions to send their squad into isolation, while adding training and matches would carry on as normal for players who continue to test negative.
The virus also continues to take its toll on major sports events with Saturday's women's world WBO middleweight title fight in England between Savannah Marshall and Hannah Rankin called off after a trainer, Peter Fury, tested positive.
Fury, who trains British fighter Marshall, is also the uncle of heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.
In rugby union, Wasps' preparations for the Premiership final on Saturday week have been also been hit by an outbreak of COVID-19 at the club, putting a question mark over whether the Twickenham showpiece will even go ahead.
Four players and three members of backroom staff have produced positive results during the latest round of testing, prompting Wasps to cancel training for the remainder of the week as a precautionary measure.
In rugby league, Wigan's important Super League fixture against Catalans Dragons on Thursday has been postponed after three members of the Warriors' backroom staff tested positive.
The Skate Canada International Grand Prix figure skating event, one of the biggest on the circuit, has been cancelled because of COVID-19 health and safety concerns.
The event had been scheduled for the end of October in Ottawa but with coronavirus cases rising and new restrictions limiting gatherings, officials decided it was no longer possible to stage the competition even without fans.
Canada has also pulled its athletics team out of the world half-marathon championships in Poland this weekend over COVID-19 concerns, Athletics Canada said on Wednesday.
With Poland seeing a second spike in COVID-19 cases, Athletics Canada decided it could not put "our athletes, coaches and staff in harm's way."