Fires force Canberra sports cancellation

Melissa Woods
A WNBL game has been cancelled and a tennis tournament relocated due to smoke haze in Canberra

The WNBL has cancelled a match in Canberra while the Canberra International tennis tournament has been relocated to Bendigo in country Victoria due to bushfires and smoke haze in the region.

The WNBL announced on Friday it had cancelled Sunday's round 12 match between the UC Capitals and Perth Lynx, due to be played at the AIS.

Officials said heavy smoke, caused by the NSW bushfires, was impacting air quality inside the venue.

A decision will be made next week on whether the match will go ahead at a later date and if it doesn't, the teams' win/loss percentage will be determined by one less game.

The tennis, set to start on Monday, has been shifted to Bendigo, with concerns for the health of players, officials and fans.

The event is on the ATP Challenger Tour and the ITF Women's circuit.

There are eight top 100 men's players and 20 women from the top 200 entered in the field.

Tennis ACT chief executive Kim Kachel said conditions weren't expected to improve any time soon.

"Unfortunately, the best advice from the weather and fire experts is that the conditions over the next few days mean it is unlikely there would be any play," Kachel said.

"With conditions too unpredictable the decision was made to relocate at the earliest available opportunity."

Football Federation Australia also announced that the W-League round eight match between Canberra United and Sydney FC on Sunday had been postponed.

They also postponed Sunday's Y-League clash between Canberra United and the Newcastle Jets.

Meanwhile the Summernats, the annual car festival held in Canberra, will go ahead this weekend.