Fifita tug-of-war erupts between Broncos and Titans
Titans coach Justin Holbrook says Broncos mentor Kevin Walters has been contacting off-contract forward David Fifita "a fair bit lately" as the race for the boom second-rower intensifies.
Walters said on Thursday that former Brisbane star Fifita, 23, was "part of the Broncos family" and a player he would be happy to consider if he wanted to return.
Holbrook, speaking on Triple M's Rush Hour on Thursday, was asked how confident he was of keeping Fifita.
"I am not sure. It is up to Dave," Holbrook said.
"We have said we want him to stay but obviously there is interest. Kevvie (Walters) has been in contact with him a fair bit lately, and he's got every right to.
"Dave will make his decision, hopefully sooner rather than later so we don't get bogged down ... him and us."
Walters is not breaking any rules speaking with Fifita as the player is off-contract.
Holbrook said the noise around Fifita's new deal had heightened in recent days as the NRL's round one approached.
"And I don't think that's good for anybody - for the club or anybody. Hopefully he will make his decision soon," he said.
AAP was told on Wednesday that Fifita's manager had been in touch with the Broncos but no offer had been tabled.
Holbrook told AAP last month the Titans "really want to keep" the Tonga international.
"It is up to us as coaches, the halves and Dave himself to all work together to get the best out of him," Holbrook told AAP.
"What we have done in recruiting experienced hooker Sam Verrills and an experienced half in Kieran Foran is going to help his game as well.
"We feel we have done everything right here for him to play at his best."