Emotional Dart wins tie-break to shock Boulter

Harriet Dart became tearful in the final-set tie-break but fought back to shock British number one Katie Boulter and reach the Wimbledon third round.

World number 94 Dart had to compose herself when she fell 6-2 down in the breaker but won eight of the last 10 points to knock out the 32nd seed.

Boulter's forehand, usually her main weapon, became increasingly erratic in breezy conditions on Court One as Dart won 4-6 6-1 7-6 (10-8) in just under three hours.

"I wear my emotions on my sleeve so you see everything how I'm thinking, unfortunately, but I'm so happy to be able to get through," Dart said.

"My head-to-head is absolutely woeful against Katie Boulter so I wasn't expecting too much but at the same time I just tried my best out there and even though I was down in that tie-break I just thought 'give it everything, no regrets' and I'm really pleased to be able to battle through."

The 27-year-old will play the unseeded Wang Xiyu of China next.

"I just had a tough day at the office, not my best tennis today unfortunately," said Boulter. "But it's what happens sometimes. I've just got to take it on the chin. She played well."

Dart composes herself as GB number two beats number one

Harriet Dart wipes away tears with her sweatband during her Wimbledon second-round match against Katie Boulter
Harriet Dart won 124 points compared with Katie Boulter's 111 [EPA]

It is the second time in less than a month that the British numbers one and two have fought a marathon battle, after Boulter defeated Dart in Nottingham over three hours and 13 minutes on her way to a third WTA Tour title.

She was the clear favourite but paid the price for making 75 unforced errors, failing to reach the last 32 for a third successive year.

Born just four days apart, Dart and Boulter know each other's games inside out and both players appeared to be nervous with the tension replicated within the crowd, who did not have an obvious player to support.

Over the course of the match, Dart created the most chances and Boulter almost got over the line despite herself, only to falter when she appeared to have taken control of the tie-break.

A single break of serve gave Boulter the first set, after Dart was unable to convert three chances to get the first break in the fifth game.

Boulter's level dropped alarmingly in the second set and she failed to hold serve in three attempts as Dart quickly levelled the match.

The decider was a tight scrap over 94 minutes. Boulter had the first chances but made three forehand errors on break points before, at 2-2, Dart broke on her sixth break point as another forehand from her opponent went awry.

Leading 4-2, Dart had a point for a double break but Boulter saved it and then levelled at 4-4 with a down-the-line backhand as they went on to a first-to-10-points tie-break.

When Dart had to wipe tears from her eyes at the back of the court at 6-2 down, defeat was looming but she dug in and Boulter's forehand broke down again as she lost to a Briton on the main tour for the first time.

Miyazaki beaten in 50 minutes by Kasatkina

Briton Lily Miyazaki lost in the second round of Wimbledon as she failed to win a game against Daria Kasatkina.

The Russian 14th seed - who won the Eastbourne title on Saturday - came through 6-0 6-0 in 50 minutes.

World number 148 Miyazaki produced the biggest win of her career when she beat Tamara Korpatsch in the first round, but could not replicate her performance.

Miyazaki, 28, struggled to keep the ball in play, with 31 unforced errors among the 53 points won by Kasatkina.

Kasatkina, 27, will play Spaniard Paula Badosa in the third round.