El Clasico postponed after security threat in Barcelona

This month's Spanish league El Clasico match between Barcelona and Real Madrid is expected to be postponed until December because of a planned separatist rally in the Catalan capital.

The league wanted the October 26 game to be moved from Barcelona to Madrid because of security concerns, with the return match automatically switched from Madrid to Barcelona, but neither team agreed with the proposal.

NOT ON: Fan's disgusting act in selfie with female footballer

The Spanish soccer federation, in consultation with government officials, said it wasn't safe to play on the same day of the rally, so a new date is expected to be set in the coming days.

If the teams and the league can't reach an agreement on the date, it will be up to the federation to make the final decision.

Sergio Ramos and Lionel Messi come face-to-face during the El Classico. (Getty Images)

The match is likely to be played in December, before the winter break.

The league has proposed moving the game to December 7, a Saturday, which would mean the teams' matches, which had already been scheduled for that weekend, would have to be moved.

Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde said earlier he and his players preferred to keep the schedule unchanged and show everyone that the game could take place safely despite the current problems in Catalonia.

Join or create a 2019 Yahoo Fantasy Basketball league for free today]

The region has seen violent protests for the last few days with police clashing with protesters angered by a Supreme Court decision to sentence nine separatist leaders to prison.

Separatist groups have called for supporters to rally in Barcelona on the day of the match.

Catalan independence flags are a regular feature at Barcelona's home games at the Camp Nou Stadium.

With Goal.com