World No.1 Novak Djokovic has confirmed that he had been nominated for a return to the player council after resigning in August following his decision to create a separate organisation.
The 33-year-old Serb said, however, that the ATP was blocking his path to rejoin.
"I've been nominated by my fellow players, I did not pro-actively run for council," Djokovic told reporters after losing to Danill Medvedev at the ATP Finals.
The 17-times grand slam champion caused shockwaves before the US Open when he announced he was forming the Professional Tennis Players' Association (PTPA) along with Canadian Vasek Pospisil.
Djokovic, who was president of the player council, was obliged to resign despite saying the PTPA was not a rival organisation and that it was set up to better protect the interests of the players.
"I do not see any conflict of any kind at being part of the PTPA and part of player council, I didn't then or now," he said on Wednesday.
On being nominated for the player council, which will be voted on in December, Djokovic said it showed that he had the "trust and credibility" of his fellow players.
"You have a responsibility when you are nominated," Djokovic said.
"But the ATP Board had a vote last night which means no active player can be part of the council and any other organisation in the tennis ecosystem."
It is the latest political twist in the running of the men's game which has seen Djokovic's proposed PTPA fail to muster the support of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, both of whom, along with Andy Murray, are on the ATP player council.