DeChambeau snubs PGA Tour to join rebels

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Greg Norman has claimed another major scalp in Bryson DeChambeau.

The big-hitting American is the latest big name after Dustin Johnson to join the LIV Golf Invitational Series, whose first event began to much fanfare at St Albans, near London, on Thursday.

Norman, who is expected to sign more players ahead of the second event in Portland, Oregon, which begins on June 30, said: "Bryson DeChambeau is an exciting addition to LIV Golf's supercharged style of play.

"He is passionate about the sport, innovative in his approach and committed to pushing the boundaries in pursuit of excellence.

"He's not afraid to think outside the box and supports our mission of doing things differently to grow our game.

"The power and energy he brings to the course will deliver added electricity to our competition in Portland and beyond."

DeChambeau officially joined the PGA Tour in 2017 and spent the last two years in the top 10.

However, he has slipped to 28th after having surgery on his left hand, an injury that ruled him out of the PGA Championship.

He has played in the last two Ryder Cups for the United States but in joining the exodus to LIV he is jeopardising his place in next year's match in Italy at stake as there are currently no ranking points for the new series.

His place in next week's US Open is safe as he has a 10-year exemption.

DeChambeau had previously been linked to the breakaway circuit but said in February that "as long as the best players in the world are playing the PGA Tour, so will I".

The 28-year-old, whose prodigious length off the tee has raised concerns about whether he is pushing his body too hard, follows former world No.1 Johnson.

Minutes after the first shots were struck on Thursday, the PGA Tour suspended all 17 players in the field.

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan added: "The same fate holds true for any other players who participate in future Saudi Golf League events in violation of our regulations."

On the course, Charl Schwartzel shot a four-under 66 to take a three-shot lead over fellow South African Hennie Du Plessis in the fight for the $4m (A$5.7m) individual first prize.

The 54-hole event will be decided on Saturday. Both players are on the Stinger team which is leading the way to share a $3m (A$4.25m) purse for the best four-man team.

Australia's Wade Ormsby and Jed Morgan are among five players tied for 21st place, on three over par.

Matt Jones and Travis Smyth (four over), Kevin Yuan (five over) and Blake Windred (10 over) complete the six-strong Australian contingent.

With Reuters

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting