Advertisement

Clark wins PGA Tour's weather-hit Pebble Beach Pro-Am

Wyndham Clark has added the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am to his CV after golf officials were forced to abandon the delayed final round of the Signature PGA Tour event in California.

The $US20 million tournament was reduced to a 54-hole event for the first time since 2009, when Dustin Johnson won, after the PGA Tour sought advice from local authorities.

"The storm affecting the Monterey Peninsula throughout the day Sunday is forecast to continue into the early hours of Monday with very strong winds," the tour said in a statement."

Although conditions are forecast to improve through the morning Monday, after consultation with Monterey County emergency authorities, who have implemented a Shelter in Place order until early tomorrow morning for the greater Pebble Beach community, and out of an abundance of caution for the safety of all constituents, there will be no play on Monday.

"Therefore, in accordance with the PGA TOUR Regulations the tournament results will be final through the conclusion of 54 holes.

"Clark, the reigning US Open champion, had two-putted for birdie on his final hole on Saturday for a tournament-record 60 and finished the third round with a one-shot lead over Swede Ludvig Aberg.

While there had been hopes of play on Monday, Clark was officially declared the winner when officials aborted plans to try to carry on.

Jason Day
Australian Jason Day had to settle for a tie for sixth after the final round was abandoned. (AP PHOTO)

Australian No.1 Jason Day, who fired a nine-under 63 on Saturday to storm to within four shots of Clark, had been among those hoping he'd get a chance to contend for the title - and $US3.8 million winner's cheque.

Instead, Day tied for sixth with Americans Justin Thomas, Tom Hoge and world No.1 Scottie Scheffler at 13 under.

Day's second top-10 finish of the year at least vaulted the former world No.1 from 22nd in the FedExCup standings to a provisional 10th.

The start of the final round on Sunday initially was delayed by just over two hours, and then came another two-hour delay.

The PGA Tour eventually postponed the round to Monday, citing inclement weather and safety concerns.While only a three-quarters of inch of rain fell overnight, the course was so soaked that a dozen golf balls already have been lost this week from plugging in the soft turf.

Rory McIlroy on Thursday had to use fingers from two hands to pry a ball from the fairway.The National Weather Service said gusts could reach 96 kph and issued a high-wind advisory for the rest of Sunday.

More rain was in the forecast for Monday, and it wouldn't take much to make the course too wet to play. The PGA tour would not start on a Monday unless it felt comfortable it could finish - and ultimately it didn't.

The last 54-hole outcome on the PGA Tour was the Zurich Classic in New Orleans in 2016.

With AAP