Lillee: Rest is for the weak

Sportal December 2, 2012, 6:40 pm
Dennis Lillee

Getty Images © Enlarge photo

Former Australian tearaway quick Dennis Lillee says the current Australian bowling attack lacks a spearhead and there is no way he would have accepted being rested for the third Test in Perth.

Australia entered the third and deciding Test with three new fast bowlers in Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Johnson, and John Hastings after they elected to rest Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus.

James Pattinson was ruled out of the WACA Test as a result of the side strain he suffered in Adelaide.

When asked how he would have felt being rested he joked: "I don't think I need to answer that."

"A few of us oldies went out last night and had a very big night and Ian (Chappell) said...'just imagine me trying to say that to you next Test, I'd have to duck real quick wouldn't I?'"

Australia had South Africa on the ropes on the first day at 6-75, but allowed the South Africans to recover to 225.

Lillee said he was impressed with the way the bowling unit had performed in the first innings, but that they let South Africa off the hook.

"I think they bowled pretty well the guys and I think they had an opportunity there to knock South Africa over for 140 odd," he said.

"I don't think they grabbed that and obviously (South Africa) batted well as well, there's no doubt about that, but I think that attack is a pretty good attack.

"You've got weigh up and say 'would the guys with a three day break, would they have bowled any better?'"

"There's talk of them being tired, but now would they have bowled better? Who knows?"

Lillee also compared the Australian attack to the South African's with Dale Steyn.

"Look at Steyn, there's a go to man, a man that can break it open when it gets a bit tough," Lillee said.

"I guess this attack at the moment you can't say there's a go to man.

"So yeah all good attacks have that one go to man."

Lillee said he felt the injured Pattinson was one man who might become the Australian's spearhead in years to come, while Mitchell Johnson would be more of a grunt bowler rather than blasting through top orders in the 'second phase' of his career.

1. Childrens Art courses & Mystery magic05:28am Monday 03rd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Biggest draw back to the Australian Cricket team is the Selectors ...they seem to run off the rails now and again.......I can remember one world champion FEARED left arm spin bowler from West Australia, one of the greatest in my ln opinion, BUT he only got the odd game in the Test now and again , incredable , obviously was`nt a Selectors pet. I agree with Denis Lillee`s comments here. Amen.

2. paul s12:30am Monday 03rd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Bloody selectors I say, resting siddle, the only man to constantly scare and trouble batsman, who isnt afraid to bounce once in a while. If he complained, where would that get him?

3. isdon12:28am Monday 03rd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

who do these has beens thonl they are times have changed and they dont like it and wand 15 more minutes of fame if they think they can do any better come out and make a fool ou your selves or shut up and lrt the new players get on with yjeir job

4. Peter10:16pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

the problems are not even deepseated they lack guts .As ateam they should hang thier heads ,and as some sort of attonement hand 50% of thier match fee to a charity of their choice

5. Jeffrey08:14pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

don't forget Cummins - if he and Pattinson can stay injury- free ( doubtful based on what's happened to date ), Aus could have a great opening attack.......

6. TheLoneStranger08:01pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Denis seems to forget one thing: there is so much more cricket played these days than there was in his era, so fast bowlers tend to be more susceptible to injuries due to the increased work loads placed upon them. There is one obvious solution: don't allow your test bowlers to play 20-20 #$%$ cricket, but the problem is that's where all the money lies.