Page 1 of 1
    Sort By:
    Newest First
    Oldest First
    Goat Boat
    09 Oct 2008

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Thu 02 Jun 2011 12:44

Not content with four South Africans and an Irishman clogging up its batting line-up, now there is a South African bowler as well.

This means that just six of England's 12-man squad were actually born in the country they're representing, which must be some sort of record, even by the cosmopolitan traditions of their cricket team for over a century.

Svensson
    13 Dec 2008

Posted Thu 02 Jun 2011 17:47

Obviously, there is a danger of flogging a dead horse, but the country of birth is not relevant in this, it is the nationality alone. This is obvious when you look at the socceroos for example.

There are not 5 saffers, they all that UK citizenship. 3 of the "saffers" never even played cricket in SA. Strauss's parents moved to England when Andrew was 7. Prior's parents moved to england when Matt was 11. I don't know when Jade Dernbach came ot England, but he learned his cricket at the Surrey academy, beduted for the county in 2003 and is quoted as saying: "I owe nothing to South Africa. I learnt my cricket in England".

All three players seem to have arrived in the early-mid nineties in the UK, a time when there was all kind of civil violence breaking out in South Africa. As a result, there was a lot of migration from South Africa to the UK.

For the record, the discussion is one worth having but not under the banner "5 Saffers in the england team" because it is simply not true. IMO, Trott and Morgan should not be allowed to play for England becasue they have already represented another country at international level. The other ones, no problem.

Funny though when you conider that Mickey trumpeted in 2009 to the world press that they had looked at Trott but thought that he is simply not good enough to play test-cricket....
    wp2k3

Posted Thu 09 Jun 2011 19:59
    Strauss, Trott and Prior's parents all had UK citizenship. Strauss lived in Australia for some time as well.
    So here's a couple of little questions for all those who love to flog this boring subject to death.
    If you had emigrated to Australia from the UK with your parents ,and while still in short pants, what nationality would YOU consider yourself ? And do not immigrants to Aus have to state an oath of allegiance? 
    Loki
    09 Oct 2008

Posted Thu 09 Jun 2011 20:51
    HEY!! Thats me wp, 'cept i was in nappies.Born in sunny, beautiful Glasgow. Came out when i was but a wee lad of just over a year old. I dont think anyone here really needs to question to which country i show my allegiance to, its well documented and known. I am proud of my Scottish birth and heritage - good highland stock before they settled in Glasgow - but will never support the English. Youre right on this being the proverbial flogged dead horse though.
    Now get your back side back over to the Fanatics site and post the same views there:)
    wp2k3

Posted Thu 09 Jun 2011 22:01
    Well said, Loki !!
    stewart
    07 Jan 2010

Posted Sat 25 Jun 2011 14:36

I hear this argument everytime england do well in any sport,i wonder how many non  Australian born sportsman we have here and  that we claim as winners and that is what its all about .if they are winnesr we cill claim them.
    Never mind singers and songwriters from pommy land and NZ.lets move on guys and cher your team and not bag the other
    ades
    20 Nov 2008

Posted Wed 02 Nov 2011 19:05

Has everyone forgotten or just to young to know?....
    Australia has had South Africans in the side.
      ForumsPom set new record - 5 saffers
      Sign in to post and view your settings
      New User? Sign up

Latest

Top Rated

Most Discussed