Page 1 of 2
Sort By:
Newest First
Oldest First
mip
09 Oct 2008

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Mon 27 Dec 2010 09:04

I couldnt believe what i saw yesterday at the MCG. Australia were under the pump and the majority of Australian supports had gone home for the last 15 overs.

How shocking is that. Fair weather indeed.

Disgusting show of support for the national side.

I hope you didn't leave early Tiger !!!
Goat Boat
09 Oct 2008

Posted Mon 27 Dec 2010 09:49
Really why wouldn't you leave early?

If Melbourne people wanted to see NSWelshmen make fools of themselves they watch a telecast of the Mardi Gras.

Cricket fans come to see a professional contest. Not Ricky's best mates make galahs of themselves.

Hilfenhaus - Tight but never looks like taking a wicket.
Johnson - Back to the future, back to Brisbane test effort.
Smith - Is a good lad who is out of his depth, bowls one delivery and only variation is that it lands in a different spot each time.
Harris - Workhorse, always trying, but looks like an old man at times.
Siddle - Best of the bowlers, needed someone to apply pressure from the other end.

The batting was a joke, surely.
Tigerette
21 Jul 2009

Posted Mon 27 Dec 2010 11:26
Didn't miss a ball, Mip...
kahlua

Posted Mon 27 Dec 2010 14:15
yea mip, aussies don't get the concept of supporting a team at all....

if there's any success they jump on the bandwagon and start acting all high and mighty, but if there's one bad over they all jump off, start getting hysterical as if is the end of the world and then disappear...

but the fewer Aussies around the better I'd say...
Kaiju Power
18 Dec 2010

Posted Mon 27 Dec 2010 14:33

The difference is that it is in our DNA to strive for excellence; and to expect those who wear our colours to fight and excell. When they don't, we aren't silent.

Poms on other hand don't expect much at all. They are used to mediocitry, they wallow in it.

It explains why England is a broke, debt-ridden toilet.

Loki
09 Oct 2008

Posted Mon 27 Dec 2010 14:57
and it has Birmingham in it!
Doug
28 Aug 2009

Posted Mon 27 Dec 2010 17:52
Actually support MIP here.

Been in Australia 10 years now, started right in the midst of the hey day of Cricket.
It has been suprising to see how Cricket is now in dire financial straights, because as the team loses it loses fans rapidly.
Same thing with Rugby Union, which when I arrived was in great shape, now after a few poor years has lost a massive amount of it's base.

Kaju to be honest, the DNA thing is hooey, I can only think of one other nation which bails out on it's teams the way Australia is now, and the USA, where most believe if we ain't the best, then it's no use watching.

I remember being in Chicago back in the mid 90's, to see the Cubs, they haven't won anything in 100 years, but the fans are still nuts for their team.
Same as Boston - which by the way catch this fake commercial about them winning the WS for the first time in 100 years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUJ-8R4ghXU

wp2k3

Posted Mon 27 Dec 2010 23:50

Goatboat, surely if every cricket fan took that attitude, the likes of Zimbabwe, and Bangladesh would have no followers at all.
If you pay good, hard earned money to watch a cricket match, your primary motivation is, to be sure, to see your team of choice do well. But a secondary motivation would be to see a good game, regardless of which team has the upper hand.
I appreciate that a good bowling spell from Anderson may not give you as much pleasure and satisfaction as a similar one from Siddle, but you should still be able to appreciate his skills.
Stker b
09 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 28 Dec 2010 08:28

Aussies don`t understand sportsmanship period. They`re known worldwide as arrogant, win-at-all-costs, sore-losing, pass-the buck supporters ! The Barmy Army who sing when they win OR lose make the aussie fans look like the spoilt mummys boys they are !
That`s why their most popular sport is the woeful afl...nobody else plays it and they can tell themselves that they`re the best in the world at it !
Doug
28 Aug 2009

Posted Tue 28 Dec 2010 08:41
Stker
quit being such a Troll
most aussie fans are fair, and appreciate good play despite the team.
The UK has its share of lousy fans too.

However I do agree with MIP that Aussie fans tend to jump off the bandwagon when they aren't number 1.
Chucker
07 Nov 2008

Posted Tue 28 Dec 2010 13:18

Thats right, Mip
After having  to endure 7 hours at a test match being played in Australia  being surrounded by a  bunch of loud mouthed yuppie Poms blowing trumpets, waving flags, singing songs about convicts and insulting our  heritage  and singing  chants insulting our national Cricket captain nonstop  while the Aussie cricket team gets pumped, anyone leaving 15 mins early is a fairweather supporter, sore loser and has  no sense of humour

They should harden up.  That is what we used to yell out at Pommy supporters on the hill during the 1982-3 Gabba test when they got rained upon with 1000 empty beer cans every time they waved the Union Jack.  Actually, I recall they left  the hill and went home early too. They didnt return after the 2nd day, just when the Aussies started to get on top.  ****ing loser fairweather supporters

Tigerette
21 Jul 2009

Posted Tue 28 Dec 2010 14:06
Actually, on Boxing Day I was surprised at how quiet the Barmy Army was, with their team going from strength to strength.

They were not far from me and I was expecting noise all day.

Really, there were still plenty of people there til the end, just looks so little in a huge stadium that is the "G.

Still twenty thousand there at least, still a decent crowd at other venues.
Goat Boat
09 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 28 Dec 2010 21:26
There were 85,000 cricket fans at the MCG on Day 1.
And 67,000 cricket fans at the MCG on Day 2.
I'm not sure how many were ther on Day 3.

The MCG is a big stadium and can often look empty with 50,000 in attendance.

Don't lecture an Australian (and a Victorian one at that) on when and when not to attend and support our cricket team.

In a city of 4 million not all will stay to the end regardless of who is winning.

Zimbabwe & Bangladesh - Would probably get more of a crowd at their home games than England would, - unless they were playing Pakistan perhaps?
mip
09 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 28 Dec 2010 22:13

Doint lecture is that what you said.

You can go on about how its a big ground but there were 90000 there until Australia started to lose and it went down to 30000 mainly pommies.

That's fair weather how ever you paint it guys.
wp2k3

Posted Wed 29 Dec 2010 08:19
"'It looks like the stadium has been evacuated!' crowed David Lloyd on Sky. Some Aussie fans did stick around, though, and both of them deserve a lot of credit for that."
Tigerette
21 Jul 2009

Posted Wed 29 Dec 2010 08:50
I have not missed a Boxing Day for twenty years and no matter what the scoreline, the end of the day is only for the sober and the fanatical.

It is a huge day and most don't make it all the way to the finish line..
Kaiju Power
18 Dec 2010

Posted Wed 29 Dec 2010 08:59
We'll follow our team as we will, thanks.

It is the pinnacle of arrogance and gracelessness to try and lecture people how to follow their team. 

I wouldn't like to breathe the same air as the Barmy Army; let alone take notes from them as to how to act.

And don't English football fans have a wonderful international reputation for violence, brutality and thuggery. There's something to aim for.
Stker b
09 Oct 2008

Posted Wed 29 Dec 2010 21:47

kaiju You should`ve heard Ponting heap praise on the Barmy Army after the Gabba test. In his own words "the greatest supporters in the world!".... so to spout such sour grapes drivel shows just how graceless in defeat you are !

Actually, there`s very little violence at UK football matches these days, due to changes in the grounds, being all seated etc. There`s more trouble overseas in Turkey, and now Russia has some serious thuggery going on.............ideal for the WC ! Try reading some real news on what`s going on in the real world and you`ll surprise yourself !

The Barmy Army make the Ashes series in Oz, particularly, the spectacle it is because left to the aussie fans it would be a very dull affair !

Have a go at removing the railway sleeper on either shoulder you sad sack...!
Peter J
06 Jan 2009

Posted Thu 30 Dec 2010 07:33

Aussie fans are a joke, always have been guys.  I remember going back to the 2003 rugby world cup, was living in Melbourne at the time, not a state known for rugby as they play the farce of a game aussie rules, but as aussies were doing well, it was in all the news papers and the aussies were going around flag waving and partaking at their fav sport pommie bashing.  Come the final, nothing in the papers, every aussie would say I don't follow rugby and you wouldnt have even known that the world cup had been on.  Same with football, when the aussies win, they won't shut up but play badly and its I dont like soccer, its a poofs game etc etc.  Aussies at the end of the day are the biggest fairweather supporters going, jump on the bandwagon when do well, quickly deny everything when things go bad.  Of course you still have the die hard supporters and there are a few on this forum and they should be congratulated as true fans, the rest can go fu.k themselves.

This post has been edited 1 time by Peter J.
Last Edited Thu 30 Dec 2010 07:39
mip
09 Oct 2008

Posted Thu 30 Dec 2010 09:25

Oh Kaiju just read your posts on here.

What vitriol and bollox.

Sad Sack as you have been called is a very apt description I'm afraid.

Change your ID back to fat_dad will ya and stop this bollox.
Chucker
07 Nov 2008

Posted Thu 30 Dec 2010 09:53

the hypocrisy displayed by certain English cricket supporters here is shameless

The home crowds for the Ashes series in  England during 2005 were massively up from the 2001 and 1997 series.  Now, if that isnt fairweather support, then what the **** is???
Goat Boat
09 Oct 2008

Posted Thu 30 Dec 2010 10:50

Well done Poms - Played & executed with clinical precission.
You did it without any controversy or mind games and played as the Australian side should have.

If you want to see fair weather supporters turn no further than the British press and past players.

The same past players (99% of which are duds who were never good enough anyway and still carry the log on their shoulders) who howled with derission at the poms in 2007.

This thread is just a pom wind-up which demonstrates a distinct lack of class and humility.

Kaiju Power
18 Dec 2010

Posted Thu 30 Dec 2010 11:26
Oh, Mippet, the truth does hurt you, doesn't it, petal? Poor thing.
You can stick your "Are aussie fans supporting their team right" helpful tips where the sun don't shine. Crawl into your boyfriend's arms for comfort. 

And lil Stinky B - you just don't get it - how DARE you instruct us on how to follow OUR team! England is not an empire, its a f&*&#$ up toilet. Follow your own team your way; and we'll follow our team our way. And Stinky B be nice - I hear that Australia is being sounded out about contributing to a bailout package for your blessed debt mountain homeland.
mip
09 Oct 2008

Posted Thu 30 Dec 2010 11:38

Oh Chucker don't show your ingnorance mate. The ashes crowds were up in Engalnd because they have increased the ground capacities you wally.

Test matches in the UK are sold out 4 months before the game and the allocation (which you have to apply for by ballot!!) is 4 tickets and in some cases two tickets.

So quote facts my friend please.

Goatboat this thread isnt a wind up mate. When 3/4's of the crowd leave because their team is losing its a very bad show. IF you dont agree thats fair enough. But England fans stay till the last ball. Its tradition mate.

And Kaiju..... throw all the personal abuse and talk about the UK economy !! ( eh .. ha ha ha ha) it just show you have run out of constructive arguement. Nect you will be saying that Australia has better weather. That would be true.
mip
09 Oct 2008

Posted Thu 30 Dec 2010 11:42

And by the way when you say "we will follow our team  as we will...."  That means going home and leasving them to battle alone does it.

A cheering home crowd would have been a much better approach to drown out the barmy army and support your team when they are down.

But no.......follow as you will...there's a good boy.
Chucker
07 Nov 2008

Posted Thu 30 Dec 2010 15:31
For the English troll
I will quote from Wisden

Cricket had hardly caught its breath after Edgbaston; the superlatives had not even settled. But now 2005 had something else to give. A draw, of all things: the first in 17 Ashes Tests. Yes, five days passed and nobody won. But an estimated 10,000 had to be turned away from Old Trafford on the final morning, and thousands more were turned back before they could get close. Roads were clogged for miles around.

This reflected the mounting enthusiasm for the series, but also the decision to offer last-day tickets for only £10 to adults and £5 for juniors; the black market put their value at around £80. Those who failed to join the 22,000 in the ground had to join the estimated 7.7 million who watched the conclusion on TV. 

5 days in 1997 got 87 000 supporters
5 days in 2005 got 110 000 supporters, and many more turned away
This is at the ground that no longer has test match status - must have been impressive improvements

Fairweather supporters

ForumsFair Weather supporters
Sign in to post and view your settings
New User? Sign up

Latest

Top Rated

Most Discussed