'Disappointed': Shane Warne takes swipe at rivals after Ashes drama

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Reporter
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Shane Warne (pictured) during Sky Sports commentary.
Shane Warne (pictured) has called for the England players to commit to the Ashes Tour in Australia. (Getty Images)

Legendary spin bowler Shane Warne has called for the English players to take part in the Ashes Tour to Australia after talks some players might avoid the quarantine.

Despite months of speculation, the Ashes is set to go ahead this summer with England's players reportedly agreeing to tour in a move that will green-light the $200 million series.

'RUBBISH': England accused of 'arrogance' in 'absurd' cricket saga

'SPIRIT OF CRICKET': Indian player's 'ridiculous' act sparks debate

WOW: Ravi Ashwin fires back after 'disgraceful' Shane Warne swipe

Players have been given until the end of this week to make a decision by England authorities, with the team only set to tour if an adequate number of front-liner players agree to travel.

While Australian Prime Minster Scott Morrison recently stated the English squad and their families wouldn't be given any leeway when it comes to quarantine, reports suggest there could be some freedoms for families in regional Victoria.

And speaking on UK radio show talkSPORT, Warne said there doesn't appear to be any excuse for the players not to travel.

“What I’ve heard is England are being given a resort for their 14 day quarantine – swimming pool, golf course and everything for their families," Warne said.

“I’d be disappointed if any of the players pulled out because they can have their families there, have a resort and be there for a holiday.

“From then you play the cricket. It’s an Ashes series, the biggest cricket series in the world.

“A lot of people I’m sure would want to play in an Ashes series. You can define your career by what you do in an Ashes series."

While Warne was confident the players would travel, he sympathised with the players having gone through numerous biosecurity bubbles during the Covid-19 pandemic.  

Ashes Tour to Australia to go ahead

England's cricketers spoke with Cricket Australia (CA) bosses again on Tuesday evening, to thrash out their concerns over strict Covid-19 protocols.

Despite concerns allayed and the Ashes Tour set to go ahead as scheduled, a number of players might not travel.

Jos Buttler could be the only England player not to agree to tour.

The star wicketkeeper-batsman had previously indicated his concerns over the tour and potential time away from family.

Allrounder Moeen Ali will be unavailable after he recently retired, while Ben Stokes is taking a break from the game and Jofra Archer is out injured.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting