COVID positive rocks Aussie boxers' bubble

Peter Mitchell, AAP US Correspondent
Jason Moloney will take on Mexican brawler Leonard Baez at MGM Grand Casino next week

A coronavirus positive test has rocked a Las Vegas boxing fight card ahead of next week's bouts involving Australian twins Andrew and Jason Moloney.

A main event junior welterweight contest scheduled for Thursday (Friday AEST) inside the MGM Grand Casino "bubble" between Puerto Rico's Jose Pedraza and New York's Mikkel LesPierre was cancelled after the latter's manager tested positive.

The Moloneys' manager, Tony Tolj, said the test proved just how strict fight promoter Top Rank has been in enforcing protocols and testing to protect fighters involved in an innovative schedule of fight cards at the MGM.

"Top Rank really is at the forefront of boxing and very, very strict with their testing," Tolj told AAP.

"Speaking from experience, we were not allowed to enter the Top Rank gym until we were all tested and the sparring partners were not allowed in until they were tested.

"Once we go inside the bubble at the MGM there is strict testing too."

The Melbourne-born, Kingscliff-based Moloneys are currently living in a house in Las Vegas and training at the Top Rank gym.

They will be tested and if cleared allowed to move into the MGM bubble on Saturday.

The bubble has a specially-built boxing ring, training facilities and living quarters cut off from the outside world.

There will be no spectators when Andrew Moloney defends his WBA super flyweight title against Texan challenger Joshua Franco on Tuesday.

Jason Moloney, a top-five rated bantamweight, takes on Mexican brawler Leonard Baez two days later.

The fights will be broadcast on ESPN in the US and FOX Sports in Australia.

LesPierre's manager, Jose Tavarez, said he was devastated his positive test cancelled his fighter's bout.

"I apologise for the inconvenience this caused," he said.

"I am not exhibiting any symptoms."

Top Rank made it clear to fighters and their teams a positive test will bar the fighter from participating in their bout.

It is the second positive test, with Mikaela Mayer last week pulled from her MGM bubble bout after a positive test.