Family members banned from community sport in virus crackdown

Riley Morgan
Sports Reporter
New South Wales Sports Minister Geoff Lee (pictured left) and tests are carried out at a pop-up COVID-19 testing clinic at Victoria Park in Picton, Sydney (pictured right). (Getty Images)

The New South Wales government is set to announce an immediate ban on certain family members attending community sport in an attempt to restrict a possible devastating outbreak of the coronavirus.

Grandparents and siblings attending a community game to show support will now be asked to stay away in order to reduce the numbers of those gathering, according to NSW Sports Minister Geoff Lee.

WOW: AFL to ban certain WAGs from Queensland quarantine hubs

'MISSED A CHAIN’: Details as new cases revealed in NSW

“Today we’re announcing an updated COVID-19 safety plan for community sporting organisations, and it’s in a response to the rising number of cases in NSW,” Lee said on Thursday on Jim Wilson’s 2GB radio show.

“What we’re asking … is to restrict the number of sporting spectators to parents and carers where practical.

“That means there’s no aunties, no uncles, no grandmas, grandpas, no brothers, no sisters crowding on the sidelines.”

The exception is those who are carers for children.

New South Wales Covid-19 cases grow

The stricter measures follow a surge of coronavirus case in NSW linked to the outbreak at the Crossroads Hotel in Casula.

NSW recorded 10 new coronavirus cases in the state, in a 24 hour period, as the prospect of tight restrictions remains as health authorities continue to contain the virus.

Six of the new cases were locally acquired, while four are related to hotel quarantine, NSW Chief Medical Officer Dr Kerry Chant said Thursday.

And three cases are linked to the outbreak at the Crossroads Hotel in Casula.

“Those three cases that were associated with Crossroads are a child of a previously known case, a man in his 30s, a contact with a previously known case, and a man in his 80s who attended the Crossroads Hotel on 5 July,” Dr Chant said.

A further three cases are still under investigation.