Gus Gould has once again called for a much harsher punishment for embattled Penrith star Nathan Cleary after a fresh video was released from his virus breach.
On Wednesday, a new videos emerged of Cleary that appear to contradict the NRL star’s excuse for breaking social-distancing rules.
‘THAT’S RUBBISH’: NRL stars savaged over race card 'cop-out'
On Tuesday the 22-year-old was fined by NSW Police and sanctioned by the NRL for being photographed with a group of women flouting the public health order on Anzac Day.
The NSW State of Origin star apologised for his actions and said the girls were his sister’s friends and only there for about 10 minutes.
He also claimed he didn’t know photos had been taken of him.
But two Tik Tok videos have emerged, which has raised eyebrows about Cleary’s claim.
Veteran NRL broadcaster Gould has also questioned what unfolded and has called for the game’s governing officials to throw the book at the 22-year-old if he “lied”.
“If Nathan Cleary has lied about his involvement (a) That’s obscenely stupid,” he tweeted on Wednesday following the release of the video.
If Nathan Cleary has lied about his involvement (a) That’s obscenely stupid (b) It’s worse than the original breach (c) He will have to live with consequence of his actions. NRL will definitely reconsider the penalty imposed, which I considered to be too light in first place.
— PhilGould15 (@PhilGould15) April 29, 2020
“It’s worse than the original breach. He will have to live with the consequences of his actions.
“NRL will definitely reconsider the penalty imposed, which I considered to be too light in (sic) first place.”
Gould also claimed he found the original punishment handed down to the four NRL rule breakers was already too lenient.
NSW premier blasts NRL rule breakers
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says the NRL stars who broke "life and death" social-distancing laws have jeopardised the league's return this month.
The NRL's bold bid to resume the suspended competition on May 28 copped a body blow when Latrell Mitchell, Josh Addo-Carr and Nathan Cleary were seen on social media posts breaching coronavirus social-distancing measures.
The trio have been fined by NRL for bringing the game into disrepute but the incidents gave critics ammunition to question the league's ability to follow strict protocol measures required to re-launch its season.
"We always base any decision on health advice and on the ability of an organisation to stick to that health advice," Berejiklian said on Wednesday.
"I think it does jeopardise (the restart), because the season hasn't even started."
Mitchell and Addo-Carr were among 10 people involved in a weekend getaway on the NSW mid-north coast, while Cleary was at home with a group of friends.
Berejiklian said that, under different circumstances, some might have turned a blind eye to the incidents.
"But not when it's life and death," she said.
"We are in a pandemic. It's life and death. You might forego your own safety, but to compromise someone else's safety, that's inexcusable.”