Cliftonville come from behind to see off Glentoran

Cliftonville came from behind to beat Glentoran 2-1 at the Blanchflower Stadium as they moved level on points at the top of the Women's Premiership table.

Chloe McCarron had given the Glens the lead with a superb long-range strike on 11 minutes.

But two goals in two minutes from Caitlin McGuinness and Marissa Callaghan at the start of the second half gave Cliftonville the comeback victory.

The Reds, who have a game in hand over the Glens, are now the only side who have won all their league games.

Magic from McCarron

Cliftonville came into the game off the high of retaining the Women's League Cup on Sunday, whilst the Glens had won their first six league games.

Despite the good form of both teams, it was a scrappy first half at the Blanchflower, with neither side able to hold onto the ball or muster many clear-cut opportunities.

Caitlin McGuinness forced a low save from Ashleigh McKinnon after two minutes, capitalising on a defensive mistake from Annie Timoney before seeing her shot dealt with by the goalkeeper.

The deadlock was then broken on 11 minutes in spectacular fashion by McCarron.

Cliftonville only half cleared a shot from Nadene Caldwell and when the ball fell to McCarron, she fired home a stunning first-time strike from long range which went in off the crossbar.

Demi Vance squandered a good chance to double their advantage four minutes later, but she shot straight at Rachel Norney after being slipped in on the left-hand side of the box.

Norney thwarted Vance again before the end of a first half where Cliftonville grew increasingly frustrated with their performance.

Ruthless Reds in second half

John McGrady's half-time team talk seemed to inject new life into the Reds, who came out in the second half with an added attacking impetus.

They found an equaliser three minutes after the restart with Callaghan driving to the byline and picking out Danielle Maxwell in the box.

She then found Caitlin McGuinness, who smashed home from close range.

Two minutes later, Cliftonville took the lead as Toni-Leigh Finnegan delivered a deep free-kick, which Callaghan met with a looping header that went over McKinnon and into the top corner.

Glentoran had a rare off day as they searched in vain for an equaliser, with Norney called into action on the hour mark to tip Jessica Foy's fizzing long range effort over the crossbar.

Emily Wilson then drove down the left before slipping the ball through to Joely Andrews, who poked wide under pressure from Kelsie Burrows.

Cliftonville saw the game out to claim a huge victory in the race for the title.