Chidiac sparks Victory win over Reds

A starring performance from Alex Chidiac has guided Melbourne Victory to a 2-1 A-League Women win over Adelaide United.

Chidiac scored early in the second half to level the scores before supplying the corner which led to the visitors' 85th-minute winner at Service FM Stadium on Saturday.

The Victory playmaker could have had a hat-trick against her former team if not for the woodwork and a stunning save from United keeper Annalee Grove midway through the second half.

The result snapped a run of three consecutive draws for Victory while Adelaide are now winless from their last five.

Victory coach Jeff Hopkins was delighted his side were able to overturn the halftime deficit and labelled Chidiac's contribution "amazing".

"I'm just really pleased with our performance," he said.

"We got back into the game well in the first half and then we dominated the second half.

"It was amazing. We planned to take her (Chidiac) off from 45 minutes onwards, but we didn't dare take her off."

The Reds enjoyed the perfect start in breezy conditions and broke the deadlock on eight minutes through Fiona Worts.

Mindy Barbieri whipped in a free kick from the right and Worts was left unchecked and headed into the bottom corner for her first goal of the season.

Victory emerged from the interval intent on finding an early equaliser and with the blustery wind now favouring the visitors, they attacked from the outset.

They did not have to wait long, drawing level on 51 minutes thanks to a classy goal from Chidiac.

Beattie Goad cut inside, skipping past Isabel Hodgson and Xiao before cutting back for the Matildas midfielder, who glided past her opponent then tucked the ball away with her second touch.

The Victory No.10 was causing United all sorts of problems and minutes later created another glorious chance.

Chidiac collected the ball outside the area and drove towards goal before supplying a cross which Emily Hodgson almost turned into her own net, her clearance rattling the crossbar.

On 85 minutes Melbourne found their second goal and Chidiac was again involved, this time as provider.

Her perfectly weighted corner from the right was met by Kayla Morrison who rose highest and looped her header over Grove.

United coach Adrian Stenta lamented not putting more distance between themselves and Victory with conditions proving difficult in the second half when the teams changed ends.

"It was great to get in front, because we hadn't been able to do that in a number of games," he said.

"But then I didn't think we made the most of whatever breeze there was in the first half, because it certainly picked up in the second half - it was difficult to play into."