- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Cricket Australia bosses have defended their previous inaction on Tim Paine's 2017 sexting scandal, reasoning they felt no need to go over issues prior to their appointment.
Paine's resignation as Test captain on Friday came amid revelations he was at the centre of a 2018 integrity unit investigation into lewd texts with a female Cricket Tasmania colleague.
He was initially cleared, before current CA chairman Richard Freudenstein admitted his current administration would have arrived at a different decision if in charge three years ago.
Freudenstein only joined the board in 2019, while CEO Nick Hockley was hired by Cricket Australia the following year.
Both said they were made aware of the incident on joining the company, but did not delve into the investigation further as it was a closed case.
It was only in the past week the case was re-examined, when it emerged News Corp had planned to print parts of the text message exchange.
"I was given a very high-level briefing that there had been an incident," Freudenstein said.
"A thorough investigation and no misconduct found. There was no reason to investigate that further at that stage."
Hockley also claimed he previously had no reason to question CA's stance from 2018, with his focus largely being on keeping cricket going during the pandemic since joining.
"I was made aware that there was an historic investigation and that that matter had been closed," he said.
"In light of the fact we had received a media query, I received the investigation report on Wednesday evening last week and at that stage appraised myself of the full details."
Two board members still remain from that year, while there have been two changes of CEO in that time.
But Freudenstein defended the handover policies in the organisation.
"Once you have a private matter that has been subject to a full integrity unit investigation, it wouldn't be normal for that to be part of the handover," Freudenstein said.
"All I can say is the whole current Australian cricket board, including those members that were on the board in 2018, are very clear that if the same circumstances arose today, we would make a different decision."
Meanwhile Freudenstein insisted that the code of conduct was equipped to handle future issues, with recommendations from the 2018 Ethics Centre's review since implemented.
"I think the code of conduct is appropriate but we will always continue to review all our policies and procedures," Freudenstein said.
"It's important to note that a lot of things have changed since that time.
"There is a full player education program addressing a whole range of things including texting.
"Every player is now required to undergo annual integrity education.
"And we've undertaken a full review of our own harassment and discrimination policy."