The Bundesliga announced Friday it would suspend this weekend’s matches and recommend all play be halted until April 2 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Germany’s top flight was the last major European league to still be playing as scheduled, as Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Premier League all announced suspensions. The DFL (Deutsche Fußball Liga), which oversees the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga, also said the second tier would stop play.
Additionally, the DFL said it would hold a general assembly of clubs on Monday and recommend “to suspend play until April 2.” That coincides with the end of the upcoming international break, which has already seen mass postponements and cancellations as well.
A player in the second tier, Hannover 96 defender Timo Hübers, was the first German player to test positive for COVID-19, the specific name for this coronavirus.
Earlier on Friday, Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge registered his belief the weekend’s games should go on, in a comment that really laid bare what matters in soccer and all of sports (via DW Sports):
At the end of the day, it's about finances and the outstanding big TV payments to the clubs. I think it's right that under the current conditions, the games this weekend take place.
More from Yahoo Sports: