Brisbane five-eighth Anthony Milford will miss the remainder of the NRL season, giving Sean O'Sullivan a chance to fight for a new deal with the club.
Off-contract at the end of the year, 22-year-old O'Sullivan has played just two games for the Broncos this season but has been told the No.6 jersey is his to lose.
With just three games to go in the season and finals out of the equation, the club is already planning for 2021.
"We've got Tyson Gamble who has been outstanding at training and we've still got Brodie Croft there, so Sean has to hold that jumper now... it's his to lose," interim coach Peter Gentle said.
"He's had a tough initiation back into the NRL having to play Roosters away and Penrith last week at home, two pretty decent teams.
"He's handled it pretty well and I'm looking forward to he and Tommy (Dearden) combining well."
Gentle said Milford would have been pushing it to return this season with a hamstring injury before the club took the conservative choice to rest him completely.
Milford tweaked the hamstring again at a training session on Monday while bending down to pick up a ball.
"He couldn't get through the session so the decision was made for him, so now we have to refocus on 2021," Gentle said.
The 26-year-old Milford has battled with two hamstring injuries this season, and he will now miss the final three matches of the season against Gold Coast, Parramatta and North Queensland.
It brings to end a miserable season for Milford, who has been widely criticised for his form in 13 games this year.