Brentford 1-1 Manchester United: Both sides score in stoppage time in thrilling finish

Kristoffer Ajer scored in the ninth minute of injury time as Brentford snatched a dramatic draw against Manchester United in a thrilling finish at the Gtech Community Stadium.

The equaliser came three minutes after Mason Mount thought he had netted the winner for the visitors with his first United goal.

But they could not hold on for victory and a draw damages the Red Devils' hopes of qualifying for next season's Champions League.

Ivan Toney, who scored his first England goal in the 2-2 draw with Belgium on Tuesday, was involved in the build-up to the equaliser, with his pull-back converted by Ajer as the Bees secured a deserved point after hitting the woodwork four times.

Toney shot against the inside of the post when sent through on goal before Mathias Jorgensen's free header clipped the top of the crossbar before the break.

Brentford continued to dominate and Yoane Wissa became the third Bees player to hit the goal frame, with his powerful volley from inside the penalty area bouncing off the upright just before the hour mark.

Bryan Mbeumo also produced a fierce second-half attempt that rebounded off the crossbar as Brentford pushed for a much-needed victory in their fight to stay in the top flight.

Toney thought he had broken the deadlock, volleying into the net from Mbeumo's cross in the 72nd minute, only for the effort to be disallowed for offside.

Brentford goalkeeper Mark Flekken had earlier made an excellent one-handed save to deny Rasmus Hojlund but was beaten by substitute Mount before Ajer's late heroics.

In previous seasons a top-four finish would be enough to qualify for the Champions League, but this year - depending on how English teams perform in Europe - fifth place may also earn a place in the top continental competition.

However, FA Cup semi-finalists United are sixth in the table, 11 points behind fourth-placed Aston Villa and eight adrift of Tottenham in fifth, although Erik ten Hag's side have a game in hand on Villa.

Red Devils struggle after FA Cup joy

United's last match before the international break was a thrilling 4-3 extra-time win against Liverpool in the FA Cup, when they scored twice in the final eight minutes to progress.

Ten Hag and the club's fans would have hoped that result would be the turning point in a disappointing season, in which United finished bottom of their Champions League group and have been well off the pace of the Premier League's top three.

But Brentford were the better side for long periods on Saturday, racking up 31 shots at the visitors' goal - although only five of those were on target.

As well as their attempts that hit the woodwork, Wissa volleyed wide and Keane Lewis-Potter had three efforts saved, with Andre Onana keeping out a further effort from Yehor Yarmoliuk.

And it looked like Brentford would pay the price for failing to convert their chances when Mount netted deep into injury time.

The England midfielder, on as an 80th-minute substitute for the ineffective Marcus Rashford, was making only his ninth top-flight appearance of an injury-hit season following his £55m move from Chelsea last summer.

He collected Casemiro's through ball and fired past Flekken in the 96th minute - but Brentford hit back and got the goal their display deserved three minutes later.

There were further problems for Ten Hag with defenders Raphael Varane and Victor Lindelof going off injured, although Argentina international Lisandro Martinez was introduced for his first United appearance since early February having recovered from a knee injury.