Darren Lehmann will stay on as Australia head coach, but Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft will fly home on Wednesday and be sanctioned in the next 24 hours in the wake of the ball-tampering scandal.
It was reported that Lehmann would resign after Bancroft admitted attempting to alter the condition of the ball with tape on day three of the third Test against South Africa at Newlands on Saturday.
Captain Smith said he had brought the game into disrepute, as he was among the "leadership group" that devised a plan to tamper with the ball.
Cricket Australia launched an investigation into an incident which has rocked the sport and chief executive James Sutherland said Smith, Bancroft and Warner were the only players party to the plot.
The ICC had already banned Smith for the final Test in Johannesburg and vice-captain Warner and opener Bancroft will also play no part.
Matt Renshaw, Glenn Maxwell and Joe Burns replace the trio, while Tim Paine has been appointed captain after taking over on day four in Cape Town, with Smith and Warner absent.
Smith, Warner and Bancroft have been charged with breaching article 2.3.5 of Cricket Australia's Code of Conduct and Sutherland said "significant sanctions" are being considered for the players.
Sutherland said Lehmann, who is contracted until next year, will stay in the role.
"The key finding is prior knowledge of the ball-tampering incident was limited to three players: captain Steve Smith, vice-captain David Warner and Cameron Bancroft," he said.
"No other players or support staff had prior knowledge and this includes Darren Lehmann, who, despite inaccurate media reports, has not resigned from his position.
"He will continue to coach the Australian men's team under his current contract."
Sutherland said the governing body will also take the opportunity to review the conduct and culture of the professional teams and consult "relevant experts" with a focus on re-engaging with Australian cricket fans and the public to rebuild respect and pride.