- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Brazil and Argentina must play the World Cup qualifier that was abandoned in September 2021, a FIFA appeals committee has ruled.
It is not yet clear when the match will be replayed. The teams' planned friendly to at Melbourne Cricket Ground on June 11 could double-up as the qualifier.
Former Atletico Madrid and Middlesbrough midfielder Juninho, now Brazil's national team coordinator, said in March: "It is our preference that there is only one game, so that the friendly is combined with the qualifier."
Both teams have fixtures earlier in June.
The original match was called off after Brazilian health officials entered the pitch to stop Argentina's England-based players from playing. Officials believed those players - Cristian Romero and Giovani Lo Celso of Tottenham and Emi Buendia and Emiliano Martinez of Aston Villa - were in breach of the country's COVID-19 rules.
All foreigners arriving from the UK at the time were required to undergo quarantine in Brazil.
Both teams have now qualified for the World Cup in Qatar later this year, with Brazil topping the South American standings and Argentina finishing second, positions that will not change whatever the result of the reply.
But soccer's governing body ruled in February the match must be replayed and fined both countries. Each appealed.
The ruling upheld a fine of 50,000 CHF ($A72,000) that was imposed on both associations as a result of the abandonment but halved fines for failing to ensure "order and safety".
The Brazil's FA (CBF) and Argentina's Football Association (AFA) must now pay 250,000 CHF ($A360,000) and 100,000 CHF ($A144,000), respectively
Last month the AFA had said they would take their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.