Paul Gallen's walk-out threat hours before Lucas Browne bout

Chris Young
·Sports Reporter
·3-min read
Paul Gallen reportedly threatened to walk away from Wednesday night's bout against Lucas Browne over drug testing arrangements. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
Paul Gallen reportedly threatened to walk away from Wednesday night's bout against Lucas Browne over drug testing arrangements. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

Just hours before Paul Gallen and Lucas Browne are due to meet in the boxing ring, the former NRL player is reportedly threatening to walk away from the bout.

Gallen was reportedly dismayed by a lack of mandatory drug testing on the night of the fight, enough so to threaten to pull out of the much hyped fight.

'TOOK A DIVE': Fight world rages over Ben Askren photo

'TOO HYPE': Rhea Ripley becomes first Aussie WWE champion

The former Cronulla Sharks star and Browne have exchanged barbs over each fighter's history with anti-doping rules.

Gallen was caught in the Sharks' 2011 supplements scandal, while Browne was stripped of a world title in 2016 after testing positive to weight-loss drug clenbuterol.

Having declared from the outset his desire for drug testing to be undertaken on the night, Gallen has since peppered Browne with insults over his drug record in the lead-up to the fight.

However Gallen's promoter, Matt Rose, said he was confident arrangements would be suitable for the former NRL enforcer.

“Given Browne has tested positive twice before we understand why Gallen has been adamant that testing be conducted and we’re doing everything we can to guarantee that will happen,” Rose told Fox Sports.

“There’s been issues with the gloves and we’ve been busy trying to get new pairs flown in from around the country but we are still confident we will be able to facilitate the testing tonight and ensure both parties are clean.”

Rose told Fox Sports drug testing had been agreed to by both fighters in their contracts, and that tests would not be taken until after the fight.

Lucas Browne unleashes in foul-mouthed rant

The final press conference between former NRL star Paul Gallen and former boxer Lucas Browne turned ugly after barbs were thrown around just two days before they square-off.

There hasn't been much love between the pair in the lead-up to the six-round fight on Wednesday, but Browne has appeared to have enough of Gallen after he ripped into the former Origin forward.

After Gallen's repeated barbs at Browne's legitimacy as a heavyweight champion of boxing, 'Dig Daddy' finally lost it.

"I’ve appreciated all of the childish bulls**t that has come out of his mouth,” Browne said on Monday.

Lucas Browne has grown tired of Paul Gallen's repeated barbs about his track record with drug testers. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
Lucas Browne has grown tired of Paul Gallen's repeated barbs about his track record with drug testers. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

“I realise it’s all for the build-up. I’ve done the videos of him singing and dancing and stuff, but it’s go time now.

“There’s no more bulls**t, there’s no more anything else. I’m going to punch him in the face until he goes down.

“I just think he’s a f**kwit. He’s an absolute dead-set donkey. Look at the head on him. He’s just got a head that you want to punch."

Browne was confident and said he would be willing for a second fight if Gallen was prepared after their bout on Wednesday.

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.