Barca register Aguero after pay cuts

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba have taken pay cuts at Barcelona to allow the team to register Sergio Aguero to play in the Spanish soccer league.

They follow another senior player, Gerard Pique, in taking a salary reduction to enable their financially troubled club to register new players and fit into the league's strict financial fair play regulations.

"Sergio and Alba's actions have consisted of salary adjustments to their contracts, which include a reduction in salary for this season and deferral of payments for the rest of the years," Barcelona said.

Barcelona, which recently announced their debt at 1.35 billion euros ($A2.2 billion), was unable to keep long-time star Lionel Messi because of financial regulations.

As a result, Messi signed for Paris St Germain but Aguero, his fellow Argentina international, will be free to play for Barcelona once he recovers from a calf injury that could keep him out until mid-October.

The 33-year-old Aguero was signed in July as a free agent from Manchester City, where he had many injury problems in his 10 seasons at the club.

By stepping in two weeks ago to help Barcelona's financial issues, Pique essentially allowed the team to register Memphis Depay and Eric Garcia - two more new signings - for the start of this season.

There had been some reports that the 32-year-old Alba had not intended to reduce his salary, and he was jeered by some fans at the Camp Nou during Barcelona's opening La Liga game of the season - a 4-2 win against Real Sociedad.

Barcelona have won two of their opening three league games and drawn the other.

Meanwhile, Real Madrid is signing one of the most exciting players in French soccer - but it isn't Kylian Mbappe.

Eduardo Camavinga, an 18-year-old centre midfielder, agreed to a six-year deal with Madrid on Tuesday, the final day of the European summer transfer window.

The fee wasn't disclosed by the Spanish club in its brief statement, which only confirmed a deal had been reached with French club Rennes.

Madrid has also been trying to buy Mbappe from PSG.

An initial bid for about 160 million euros ($A260 million) was rejected, PSG said last week, and Madrid was running out of time to sign the France striker, whose contract ends in June.

Camavinga made his debut for France's senior team in September last year.

At 17 years and 303 days, he became the third youngest player in the history of the national team.

He then netted a spectacular goal the following month against Ukraine to become the youngest scorer for France since Maurice Gastiger in 1914.

His performances dipped, though, and he didn't make the France squad for the European Championship.

Camavinga had just one year left on his deal with Rennes, whose academy he joined at the age of 10.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting