Banned McGree making Socceroos case

Adrian Warren
Adelaide's Riley McGree is being discussed as a Socceroos prospect when his ban ends

Suspended Olyroos captain Riley McGree's hot A-League form has prompted suggestions he's ready for a Socceroos call up once his ban ends.

McGree was last week suspended from internationals - along with three teammates - after an incident involving a woman while on duty with Australia's under-23 side in Cambodia in March.

On Saturday, the youngster put aside that drama to play a major role in Adelaide United's 3-1 home win over Melbourne Victory.

The attacking midfielder scored once in each half, boosting his league haul for the season to six goals from as many games.

McGree, who turned 21 earlier this month, has yet to win a senior international cap but was an unused substitute for two Socceroos World Cup qualifiers against the United Arab Emirates and Iraq in March 2017.

His ban until April makes him unavailable for the next two World Cup qualifiers in March against Kuwait and Nepal but that may be all that keeps him out.

"He's past the talent stage, he's now a crucial player," former Socceroo Robbie Slater said of McGree on Fox Sports.

"He's a player that (Socceroos' coach) Graham Arnold can start looking for, whenever that's possible, not only for Olympic teams, but for the Socceroos."

Adelaide coach Gertjan Verbeek praised McGree's composure.

"For Riley it (the controversy) is, for a while, a closed book, he accepted the punishment," Verbeek said.

"He is so strong and so fast and so hungry ... he is doing a great job."