One punch can make or break a career in boxing - fortunately for young gun Liam Wilson, his thunderous left hook on 34-year-old Venezuelan veteran Jesus Cuadro might have made his.
Wilson, fighting on the undercard of the Jayde Mitchell-Istvan Szili event in St Kilda on Saturday night, was taking on Cuadro (18-6) in just his sixth professional bout.
'LYING COWARD': Deontay Wilder's 'embarrassing' excuse exposed
‘DISGUSTING’: Boxing world erupts over Tyson Fury's 'sick' act
Tipped by Jeff Fenech to be the next big thing in Australian boxing, Wilson caught the attention of fighting aficionados by delivering the Venezuelan his first knockout.
Cuadro was left on the canvas for just over a minute before regaining consciousness, impressing everyone in attendance and sending a message to his rivals.
“That is as stunning a victory as you will see by a man in just his sixth professional fight,” Fox Sports’ Ben Damon said on commentary.
A shot that changed everything for Liam Wilson.— AUS-BOXING (@ausboxing) February 29, 2020
The unbeaten Australian scored the biggest win of his professional career, erasing Jesus Cuadro with this left-handed bomb.#ozboxing #boxing pic.twitter.com/OK8cIyiEny
“That is a massive shot from Liam Wilson and Jesus Cuadro has not moved.
“The perfect left hook from Liam Wilson, who has the boxing world at his feet and has just said to the entire super featherweight division: ‘I am ready’.”
Australian boxing legend Barry Michael was also left impressed by Wilson’s win.
“Liam Wilson just put the world on notice that he’s coming, he’s another Australian future world champion without doubt,” he said.
“(Cuadro) has never been knocked out and he was asleep for five minutes.”
Mitchell wasn’t the only one left in awe by the brutal knockout.
Fans on Twitter were equally impressed, with many looking forward to Wilson’s next bout.
An absolute monster hook from #liamwilson. Brutal knockout in the boxing series— Sam Bennett (@sgbennett93) February 29, 2020
Phenomenal performance from Liam Wilson. Cuadro went the distance with Jojo Diaz last year and had never been stopped. He was out for well over a minute.— Brendan Bradford (@1bbradfo) February 29, 2020
Wilson's in his sixth professional fight. Wow. #Boxing
That hook by Liam Wilson was brutal.— Rohanct (@RohanCT) February 29, 2020
Tyson Fury's 'expensive' plan to snub third Deontay Wilder fight
The biggest fight left in boxing could happen sooner than expected after a stunning revelation from Tyson Fury's promoter.
Frank Warren has dropped a major bombshell after confirming that the undefeated Brit could pay off Deontay Wilder, rather than fight the American a third time.
Fury dominated Wilder in their Las Vegas rematch, brutally inflicting the first defeat of the American's professional career with a seventh round TKO triumph.
Part of the deal for the second fight contained a rematch clause that the losing fighter had the option to take up.
Wilder could yet enact the rematch clause in the contract but Fury's promoter Warren says they may try and convince him to turn it down by offering substantial compensation.
“It would be expensive — but who knows?” Warren told The Telegraph.
“The only way you find it is if you try.”
The hope for Fury’s team would be to set up a title unification bout with IBF-WBA-WBO champion Anthony Joshua that would undoubtedly sell out any stadium in Britain.