Concerning new twist after virus sparks 'awkward' scenes at SCG

New Zealand quick Lockie Ferguson has been placed into isolation after suffering a sore throat following Friday's one-day international against Australia.

Ferguson has undergone tests on the ailment following the 71-run loss, given his international travel from New Zealand in the past week.

‘DOUBLE DISASTER’: F1 cancels more races after Australian GP

‘WE’RE PROTECTED’: Margaret Court slammed over coronavirus claims

It comes with the series played under the cloud of the coronavirus pandemic, with crowds banned from attending matches in a bid to limit its spread.

Lockie Ferguson celebrates with teammates after taking the wicket of David Warner. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

“In accordance with recommended health protocols, Lockie Ferguson has been placed in isolation at the team hotel for the next 24 hours after reporting a sore throat at the end of the first ODI,” a New Zealand Cricket spokesman said.

“Once the test results are received and diagnosed, his return to the team can be determined.”

As well as the ban on fans, there were a number of other precautions being taken at the the SCG on Friday.

Aussie players were seen fist-bumping instead of shaking hands or high-fiving after taking wickets, while the two sides ditched the traditional post-match handshakes and simply clapped each other and gave thumbs up as they walked past.

Australian quick Kane Richardson missed the series opener at the SCG, after also suffering a mild sore throat.

The 29-year-old was also quarantined from his team sent for tests for coronavirus, but was cleared of the issue and returned to the ground late in the game.

Coronavirus sparks ‘awkward’ scenes at SCG

Adam Zampa bowled the ball of the summer but no-one was there to see it as Australia beat New Zealand by 71 runs behind closed doors.

On a day when the coronavirus consumed the sporting landscape, Australia recorded their first ODI win in six matches.

With the pandemic leaving fans locked out just hours before the first ball was bowled, Aaron Finch (60) and David Warner (67) led Australia to 7-258 before Pat Cummins, Mitch Marsh and Zampa bowled them to victory.

Australia and New Zealand players clapped each other after the match. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

Finch, who would have been out twice had decisions not gone in his favour, was particularly aggressive, whacking two sixes in his 60 from 75 balls.

One of those hoisted shots went deep into the vacant Bill O'Reilly Stand, leaving Ferguson to climb the fence to retrieve the ball.

“It was unique, something I haven't experienced before,” Finch said.

“But I think all in all it was a pretty good result considering what has gone on around the world and sporting events being cancelled.”

With Yahoo Sports Staff