Tippett puts scandal behind him

Sportal December 12, 2012, 11:19 am
Kurt Tippett

Getty Images © Enlarge photo

Sydney Swans recruit Kurt Tippett says he has moved on from the messy Adelaide scandal and is ready to deliver his best football for his new club.

Tippett began life as a Swan on Wednesday morning, meeting most of his new team-mates and completing his first training session since he was taken at pick 11 in Tuesday's pre-season draft.

It ends a tumultuous couple of months for the 25-year-old forward, who was embroiled in a salary cap scandal that will see him miss the first 11 games of 2013.

But the power forward says he is excited to finally be at the Swans and has set his sights on fitting into the club's culture and repaying the faith the premiers have put in him.

"Sydney is the perfect fit for me and it's exciting to finally be here," Tippett told reporters on Wednesday.

"It's a tremendous club, a very successful club and a premiership-winning club.

"The future here is very bright. The prospect of coming here and playing alongside blokes like Jarrad (McVeigh) and Adam Goodes, Sam Reid is very exciting.

"I set my self pretty high standards and I just want to live up to those now."

Tippett, who has come in for heavy criticism for his involvement in the Crows' salary cap breaches and draft tampering, admitted he had struggled to deal with the media scrutiny.

"It's been a challenge for myself and my family," he said.

"But I'm happy to put it all behind me now and I'm really excited about my future here in Sydney.

"(Not playing for the first three months of the season) will be a challenge but I've got to come with a good attitude.

"I need to work towards getting better, improving and making sure I'm at my best when I come back."

Tippett said he had no doubts he was over the concussion problems that marred his 2012 season and believes he can play a role for the Swans both in the forward line and in the ruck.

While there are some doubts whether Tippett is the right fit for Sydney's 'bloods' and team-first culture, the man himself said he has always respected the club's ethos and declared his best football is still to come.

"I'm getting stronger and faster each year and I'll look to improve that again," he said.

"There's some other things I want to improve like my goal kicking and marking so there's plenty to work on.

"I've always had great respect for the Swans, they've got a great culture and I really want to be a part of that."

Swans co-captain McVeigh said he is delighted the club had come through the long, drawn-out process to finally get their hands on Tippett.

"We want to improve as a group and just because we won the premiership doesn't mean we don't want to get better," McVeigh said.

"To get as player of Kurt's calibre ... we need to boost our big guys department in the forward line and ruck and we see Kurt as one of those players and a long-term player.

"We know the way he plays and trains. We know he works hard and we expect that from him.

"He'll earn the players' trust the way he goes about it the next few months and hopefully in round 12 he'll get out on the park, he'll have the players' trust and can get on with business."

1. Anthony09:35pm Thursday 13th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Every photo I see of this Tippett person is of him laughing or smiling - Now that its over and he got off lightly - Getting 800 large - is at a club which could bring him a premiership - Life is beautiful - Not so for the Crows - their fans - Admin people who have lost their jobs - AFL fans of every club up in arms about this low life character- Have a great Christmas Tippett - one day it will all catch up with you - and you will start blaming every one else....... again...................

2. 06:36pm Thursday 13th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

gone to a team that is bad for the AFL brand.Ugly negative defencive football.Miss the finals ugly swans.

3. paulski06:08pm Thursday 13th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

He'll only be able to put it behind him when all Adelaide supporters stop reminding him what a lying, lowlife slug he is.

4. Anthony07:44pm Wednesday 12th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Of course he is happy to put this scandalous behaviour behind him. I will not forget what he did. And I dont think many Crows will either......... Players have been pretty insensitive in the last year. We had Mitch whoever tell the Lions he wanted to go home to WA and then pissed off to Melbourne. Folau telling everyone first he was going to finish what he started in the AFL - then left - He was going to Parramatta then went to the Qld Reds (good riddance) - and this liar Tippett telling the Crows he wanted to go home (to Queensland - Not NSW) and then cried innocent over his greed and his managers as well - and then got more money for less playing with the Swans who I cant figure out how they can afford him. These players should be banned for two years with no money for their part in deceit.

5. underarm_bowler04:25pm Wednesday 12th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

How does a footballer play well when he's concussed on the ground. Can't wait for the Adelaide Sydney game. Then again what could be more boring than watching two interstate clubs play.

6. David01:58pm Wednesday 12th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Tippett can never put this scandal behind him because he has to live with this for the rest of his life.

7. Dave's 4312:59pm Wednesday 12th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Hit him in the head,, hit him in the head,, hahahahah