Smorgon: Future bright for Dogs

Sportal October 17, 2012, 3:12 pm
David Smorgon

Getty Images © Enlarge photo

After 17 years in charge, Western Bulldogs president David Smorgon has walked away with a year to run on his final term and agreed to hand power to former club president Peter Gordon.

Smorgon's tenure saw a dramatic shift in culture at the club with a name change from Footscray to the Western Bulldogs a major stepping stone in the club's infiltration in Melbourne's western suburbs.

A successful lawyer, Gordon took the Bulldogs presidency in 1989 as an untrained businessman and won the fight against a proposed merger with Fitzroy.

In a poetic turn, Gordon and his board stood aside in 1996 and will now take back the reins from Smorgon, who was swayed to end his term early by an impressive succession report tabled at a Bulldogs board meeting on Tuesday.

Gordon paid tribute to Smorgon for his 'extraordinary' work and pledged to continue the club's bold push into the western Melbourne market.

"I would like to give a big thank you to David for his extraordinary work," Gordon said.

"I've got big shoes to fill. There has grown up a sense of 'this would have happened anyway'.

"It wouldn't have happened anyway without the passion, the commitment and the intelligence and intuition that David has.

"I think the fact that I understand that and in fact that I have sat in that seat before for seven years gives me a bit of an edge in the future, but time will tell."

One of Gordon's principal tasks will be to continue the Bulldogs' growth in western Melbourne.

"We represent in importance and in scope and in coverage to the western region of Melbourne all of the importance that the Giants hold for Western Sydney," he said.

"Our mission is to grow our identification with the western region and we need to work harder to do it.

Gordon said he had little faith the Bulldogs would survive after his first tenure ended in 1996 but denied earlier comments were he reportedly said he would only return if the club was in crisis.

"I think the club has a fine future. It's in a much better position than it was in in 1996 and I want to be a part of that and I want to make my contribution to it.

"For about the first 10 years after I'd left the job, I'd have said there's not a snowball's chance in hell.

"I don't think the Bulldogs are in crisis, I don't think they're in the position they were in 1989 or 1996.

"I think they have untrammelled and unprecedented opportunities to do something really special."

The Bulldogs designated a sub-committee, not including Smorgon, to identify his successor, listing Gordon and director Susan Alberti as the standout candidates.

The board unanimously back the committee's decision to appoint the Gordon ahead Alberti, former player Rick Kennedy and businessman Alan Johnston, who were also interviewed for the job.

Alberti was named vice-president and will join forces with Gordon when Smorgon officially stands down at the club's annual general meeting on December 20.

Smorgon said the meticulous Gordon had 'ticked off' every criterion in the hand over, including a joint visit to discuss the matter with the AFL on Monday.

"We are poised to move on to bigger and better things," Smorgon said after Gordon dubbed him the 'finest president the club has had'.

"The future of the Western Bulldogs is going to be brighter now with the man on my left here Peter Gordon.

"Peter Gordon in a man with a track record of success in whatever he gets involved with."

Gordon did not rule out a return to the club on the board for agitator Paul Dimattina despite the former player having a number of well-documented run-ins with Smorgon.

"I've had a couple of chats to Dima over the last week, we've agreed that we will catch up and I'm sure that we will over the next month.

"I approach all these things with an open mind. All Bulldogs are welcome back to the kennel... I don't have a closed door."

Dimattina, 37, announced in September he would not be challenging Smorgon's presidency but has put his name up for a place on the board.

Smorgon lambasted Dimattina in 2011 and challenged him to 'put up or shut up' and reiterated his thoughts on a potential spot on the board for the ex-midfielder saying: "I'll leave that to Peter, I think you know my answer."

1. Tim Sainter02:32pm Thursday 18th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I hope I'm wrong.....But, I think the AFL are going to "upset' a few clubs within the next 5-10 yrs..... : ( time for a drink and stay frosty lol because between the and the AFL commission...they make my blood boil @ what they are doing and umpires just give me the shites.....chow for now ; )

2. Tim Sainter02:08pm Thursday 18th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

How many clubs have had their home grounds taken away from them in the "playing @ that ground for their home games"....The equation back in those days was this....The VFL/AFL Commission were saying that the grounds were to small? To small for what?.....PROFIT FOR THE VFL/AFL......Money is killing the clubs....In hindsight what should of been is this....The ground is full @ say 25,000 people as a capacity and the rest can watch it on TV....SIMPLE.....CAN ANYONE TELL ME OF A HOME AND AWAY GAME @ ANY MELBOURNE GROUND NOT GEELONG! THAT HAS BEEN AN ABSOLUTE SELL OUT........IN SAY RECENT YEARS THE LAST 5-7YRS ? I CAN'T RECALL ONE....The larger capacity grounds are not being filled to their absolute capacity,which in turn defeats the VFL/AFL's intial logic!!

3. Tim Sainter01:56pm Thursday 18th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

What do we do....merge into 1 super club....What i would of liked my club to do is to permanently take up residence @ The junction oval...it needed renovating and expanding a little for more of a crowd...You know what that would of reminded me of....The good old days @ Morabbin in the animal enclosure...The best thing its the closest ground to St Kilda.....The club is training @ seaford??? Great facilities....but,What has Seaford got to do with St Kilda....#$%$ all....To many teams using etihad stadium....NO PLACE LIKE HOME!

4. underarm_bowler01:37pm Thursday 18th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

True tim, but what do we do. The demise of these clubs, plus increased limited opportunities have come about from the inception of the AFL. It was never. An understanding that by including the interstate clubs, it would be at the demise of Melbourne clubs. On the other hand I don't want my club to continue to subsidize the lower clubs

5. Tim Sainter12:57pm Thursday 18th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

@ U B.....Future bright for dogs? Is as bright for them as it is for Melbourne,St Kilda,Nth Melbourne and Richmond.....Any of these teams, can they sustain as a sole independent football club? If the AFL were to relocate any of these teams in the near future where would they go? Tasmania,Canberra,Darwin,Northern QLD and Northern WA.....Would be interesting if any were to merge and more so....with who?

6. underarm_bowler06:40am Thursday 18th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Future bright for dogs ?????......you must be kidding. Haven't had a premiership in over 50 years and not likely to see one soon. Best option for them to be successful is to merge. Not a lot of talent in the western suburbs and not a great place to be

7. underarm_bowler09:46pm Wednesday 17th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

check out the pic on scabott.......whats with the #$%$ uniform

8. rob08:07pm Wednesday 17th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

thank you david for all the hard work & endeavour, you will be sadly missed by alot of doggies

9. Tim Sainter07:22pm Wednesday 17th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Condom..... did they have "the magnificent seven" on any of your in flight movie lists?

10. Tim Sainter07:16pm Wednesday 17th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Hello condom...welcome back...did you enjoy your holidays? did you catch anything? I have been going to church lately...working on a new image...dont know how long it will last though lol. Would be great for ol' footiscray to win a GF.