Former St Kilda star sharpened studs to inflict pain

Staff Writers, Yahoo!7 August 21, 2012, 11:35 am

Former St Kilda player Steven Baker has admitted to using a slew of dirty tactics against opponents during his career as an AFL tagger.

Baker revealed to Fox Footy how he would constantly punch opponents in a certain spot to try and get them off the field.

"The punch in the back of the arm I love ... I remember I got hit there one day and it gave me a dead arm," Baker said.

"It was one I used to work on - hit them just above the elbow constantly in the same spot, (I) got a few players who actually went off because their arm was too sore."

Baker also admitted to sharpening his studs before a match in order to inflict pain on opponents when he intentionally stepped on them.

"I used to file them a bit sharper and stand on ankles," Baker said.

The former best-and-fairest winner also admitted to feeling no remorse over targeting Geelong forward Steve Johnson's broken hand during a spiteful encounter in 2010.

"I think if you’re on the ground you’re a target and you should be targeted if you’ve got an injury.

"He come back on with the (broken) hand ... I (was) just cracking into his hand, didn’t think much of it at the time (it was) just a bit of playful fun, trying to break his hand even more."

The 32-year-old went on to describe his disgust with the way the AFL is being officiated now, claiming the code has gone soft.

"It’s a man’s game ... it’s been getting soft over the last four or five years, all these little rules.

"They’re changing the rules to bloody suit the umpires rather than the players ... all these little hands in the back rules make me sick when they don’t even move the player.

"I find it hard to watch."

1. mary09:58am Wednesday 22nd August 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I am glad I am not partnered to this man...... what an inhuman creep.....god help his unfortunate children.!!!!!

2. Paul10:46pm Tuesday 21st August 2012 ESTReport Abuse

"This is how it used to be, footy is getting soft, if only the umpires..." does not change the fact a thug is a thug. On the street or in a pub or on the footy field, an act of thuggery is always that. A cheap shot at someone in a compromised position unable to properly stand up for themselves, because of injury or intoxication. It"s small man syndrome. Clap your hands, snarl your lips or be a loud smart#$%$ in the company of your mates. Make a noise for 5 min, have your caesar moment. Make an impression that still lasts with me and your home town school mates or team mates and unfortunatly your stuck with that for good. Hope i don't see you around town again

3. underarm_bowler07:29pm Tuesday 21st August 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Then again if there's any player you have to whack its Stevie J. Wouldn't worry to much baker about going down to Geelong as once ford closes so will the town

4. Tony Hogben03:49pm Tuesday 21st August 2012 ESTReport Abuse

It must be in St Kilda's genes, many years ago, their player O'Dea, nearly killed a Collingwood champion John Greening,and laughed about it too.

5. Warwick03:40pm Tuesday 21st August 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Hey Steve; I wouldn't go into a pub on a Saturday afternoon down Geelong way or a few other places if I were you. There's always someone bigger or meaner than you around mate. You've got a short neck for a goose.

6. arthur03:30pm Tuesday 21st August 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I cannot understand why Fox Footy would give this low life grub the time of day let alone an interview on their channel. Just shows the media has no scruples.

7. smally03:27pm Tuesday 21st August 2012 ESTReport Abuse

what can you expect from a contact sport where you get penalised for ROUGH PLAY. what a joke. Go Broncos

8. Myrene03:13pm Tuesday 21st August 2012 ESTReport Abuse

ok fine robert my spelling was #$%$ so you know i have a computer with spell check only reason there spelling in that sucked was cos i was typing fast and was all heat of the momment for i was angry and pissed and still am i m sick of saints being targeted like that i think they should pick on other teams for once thats all and i m sure many other saints will follow me and say that we all sick of this. now go away and don't say someone can't spell i m sure u 2 have been so angry at times that u have typed fast and not cared much about spelling

9. david a03:10pm Tuesday 21st August 2012 ESTReport Abuse

thats they way , good old school of football... thats the way we use to play back on the west coast of tassie, everyone played those tactics.. you gave as good as you got, its more like netball these days....

10. greg03:10pm Tuesday 21st August 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Baker you're a grub. So we're meant to be impressed coz you can hit an injured man from behind? Wow what a hero you are. If its a mans game explain to me how a skirt like you gets a game every week? All i can say is, you're damn lucky guys like Archer, Dipper, Leigh Matthews or Rhys Jones are still playing. You'd be sitting in the locker room shaking with fear.