Luke McPharlin
Luke McPharlin

Fremantle continued their charge back to top-eight calculations with a 27-point win over a disappointing Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on Sunday.

The Dockers led at every change and notched their fourth straight win with their patchy but convincing 11.9 (75) to 6.12 (48) victory.

It was a far from polished display from the visitors, who were sloppy at stages - particularly in the second and fourth terms, but they easily had the measure of the Power, who were terrible for most of the afternoon.

Port saved some face with a four-goal-to-two fourth term, but the result had already been decided well before then with the final margin flattering the home side.

Nat Fyfe (26 possessions, six inside 50s, one goal) laid the early foundation and was superb in his comeback match after missing the past three months due to a shoulder injury.

Michael Barlow (24 touches) was prolific, while rejuvenated Clancee Pearce (22 disposals, two goals, nine marks, six clearances) was hard at it all afternoon, continuing his fine renaissance under coach Ross Lyon.

Chris Mayne was prominent in attack early with two goals in the first eight minutes - his second major coming courtesy of a horrendous Troy Chaplin turnover.

Fyfe snapped a superb goal and racked up plenty of quality early touches as Port gave the Dockers a five-goal headstart, which proved decisive.

Brett Ebert slotted the Power's belated first goal in the 26th minute after earning a free kick when Michael Johnson slung him without the footy.

It was the only moment of joy for Matthew Primus's men in an absolutely shocking first-half display.

The Power's ineptitude soon became infectious, the Dockers dragged down to the home side's ugly level throughout a calamitous second quarter, in which the Benny Hill soundtrack would not have been out of place.

There were a couple of isolated highlights.

Mayne took a magnificent high-flying mark standing on Darren Pfeiffer's head midway through the quarter and Matthew Pavlich pouched a wonderful grab late in the period, sandwiched between Alipate Carlile and Chaplin.

David Mundy's major on the run at the 12-minute mark was the only goal for the quarter as the Dockers went into half-time with a 34-point lead having restricted the hosts to a solitary behind in the second stanza.

Port's half-time score of 1.3 (9) was their second-worst in their 16-year history.

After being held to a single goal in the first half, the Power doubled their goal-tally inside the first minute of the third when Daniel Stewart outmarked Luke McPharlin and converted.

Port looked to have their tails up and showcasing a much better brand, but their spike was fleeting.

The Dockers jagged the next three goals - with Pavlich's powerful contested marking a feature - to extend the buffer to 44 points at three quarter-time.

The final stanza was academic and played overwhelmingly on Port's terms.

The Power finished full of run and dash, which had inexplicably been absent for the first three terms, to drastically limit the percentage damage.

'''PORT ADELAIDE:''' 1.2, 1.3, 2.7, 6.12 (48)
'''FREMANTLE:''' 5.2, 6.7, 9.9, 11.9 (75)

'''GOALS: PORT ADELAIDE:''' Brett Ebert 2, D. Stewart, Boak, Westhoff, Cornes
'''FREMANTLE:''' Mayne 2, Pavlich 2, C. Pearce 2, Fyfe, Mundy, Mzungu, Walters, Sutcliffe
'''BEST: PORT ADELAIDE:''' Cassisi, Cornes, Wingard, Boak, Moore, D. Pearce
'''FREMANTLE:''' Fyfe, Barlow, C. Pearce, Pavlich, Duffield, Mundy, McPharlin
'''FREMANTLE:''' nil
'''REPORTS:''' nil
'''SUBS: PORT ADELAIDE:''' Jackson Trengove replaced by Aaron Young (4th Qtr)
'''FREMANTLE:''' Michael Walters replaced Cameron Sutcliffe (4th Qtr)
'''CHANGES:''' nil
'''UMPIRES:''' Foot, Ryan, Mollison
'''CROWD:''' 14,583 at AAMI Stadium


More from 7Sport