The AFL has suspended ticket sales in Melbourne ahead of round 11 this weekend as the Victorian state government responds to the latest coronavirus cases detected in the city.
A total of five new cases have been detected, which have been linked to the South Australian quarantine outbreak earlier this month in which a man who completed hotel quarantine in the state returned a positive test once he returned to Melbourne.
'THIS IS RIDICULOUS': AFL fans seethe over suspension 'disgrace'
New restrictions for Greater Melbourne were announced by the government on Tuesday morning, limiting private gatherings to five people and public gatherings to 30, however acting premier James Merlino stopped short of announcing restrictions on sporting events.
He said capacity limits on weddings, funerals and hospitality venues would not change however would provide further information on sporting fixtures and large-crowd events later.
Limitations to bars and restaurants remain unchanged, giving hope that fans can still attend the highly-anticipated AFL clash between the league's top two-ranked teams Western Bulldogs and Melbourne on Friday night at Marvel Stadium.
"For footy crowds and for other events there will be a public events advisory panel which will advise of any changes - we're not making any announcements today," Merlino said on Tuesday.
"We are looking at range of events, whether it's footy or other cultural events, we will work through all of those and provide further advice."
Other AFL matches scheduled in Melbourne this weekend include Saturday games featuring Collingwood and Geelong at the MCG and St Kilda and North Melbourne at Marvel.
Richmond host Adelaide at the MCG on Sunday while in the NRL Melbourne Storm are interstate until early June, as are Melbourne's Super Netball teams.
There are two A-League games slated for AAMI Park this weekend while in the NBL South East Melbourne Phoenix are set to host Cairns on Saturday night at John Cain Arena.
Melbourne's Super Rugby team the Rebels are due to fly to Queenstown in New Zealand for Sunday's Trans-Tasman competition clash with the Highlanders.
New restrictions imposed on Greater Melbourne after five Covid cases detected
From 6pm on Tuesday, all home gatherings will be limited to five people. Public gatherings will be capped at 30.
Masks must be warn in indoor public settings. All workplaces and secondary schools are included.
However a planned easing of restrictions for venues on May 28 will be postponed, Mr Merlino said.
The latest case is a close contact of the original case in the latest cluster based in the suburb of Whittlesea.
Mr Merlino said he developed symptoms before the original Whittlesea case, indicating to authorities he could be a possible source case or a link to the Wollert case.
The latest case does not have any link however to the Wollert case's exposure sites.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said the man was showing symptoms when he had a business appointment with the man in his 30s who tested positive.
Professor Sutton added the transmission likely occurred on May 18.
The new case comes after Melburnians were being warned undetected cases could have been "quietly cooking away".
Health authorities have been scrambling to identify how the family contracted the virus, with questions over whether or not it could be linked to an earlier case.
Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.