Adelaide Utd coach glad McGree got banned

Steve Larkin
Riley McGree's ban from internationals has pleased his A-League coach Gertjan Verbeek

The international suspension of Riley McGree is "perfect" for his A-League club Adelaide United, Reds coach Gertjan Verbeek says.

Olyroos captain McGree has been banned from internationals until April 1 next year after an incident involving a Cambodian woman during an under-23 tournament earlier this year.

McGree's suspension means the star midfielder will be available for the Reds for the entire A-League season - he will be sidelined from the Olyroos' qualification phase in January.

"I am glad," Verbeek told reporters on Friday.

"They suspend him from the national team so he will also be here in January, so for the club it's perfect.

"And I don't think he is bothering even. He likes to play here for Adelaide, he is satisfied, he's scoring goals.

"And he knows ... (if he had) a month away, it will be difficult when you come back, so I think it's OK."

McGree will still be eligible for the Tokyo Olympics, should Australia qualify.

But a trio of Olyroos teammates - Melbourne City duo Lachlan Wales and Nathan Atkinson and Perth Glory midfielder Brandon Wilson - have been banned until after the Tokyo Games.

They were suspended by Football Federation Australia (FFA) after an investigation into an incident involving a woman in Cambodia during the Olyroos' AFC under-23 championship qualifying tournament in March.

Verbeek said McGree had appeared unfazed since the ban was announced earlier this week.

"He has his opinion about what has happened," Verbeek said.

"He doesn't feel any blame and excuses for what he has done.

"And it's up to the FFA to punish him. They had the feeling they have got something to do so they did and they give a suspension.

'Yeah, OK, that is up to the board - not for me."

Meanwhile, FFA chairman Chris Nikou defended the investigation into the incident commencing before FFA board members were told.

Board members Crispin Murray and Kelly Bayer Rosmarin resigned from their posts last month, reportedly because they were initially kept in the dark about the Olyroos' incident in Phnom Penh, the Cambodian capital.

"There's obviously some sensitivities around the issue we're looking at and had potential implications internationally for us in Cambodia and broadly," Nikou told reporters on Thursday.

"It was imperative was went through the proper process of investigation to ascertain the facts to put them before the board, and that's what happened."

Asked if the two directors resigned because of the Olyroos scandal, Nikou replied: "You'd have to ask them."