Adelaide battle back to earn ALW draw against Newcastle

Adelaide United have come from two goals down to salvage an A-League Women draw against Newcastle Jets at Coopers Stadium.

The Jets led 2-0 at the break after an impressive first half before the Reds pulled one back just before the hour mark and then levelled two minutes from time.

The result ends the Reds' slim hopes of finals football but coach Adrian Stenta is focusing on a strong finish to the season.

"Once we went on that winless run of eight or nine games, finals didn't really become our focus," he said.

"It became about each training session, each game, each week - and that will continue to be our focus for the remainder of the year."

After a strong opening, Newcastle broke the deadlock on 19 minutes through Lucy Johnson.

Adelaide had the perfect chance to equalise just three minutes later when Fiona Worts was cut down inside the area by goalkeeper Claire Coelho.

Maruschka Waldus stepped up and struck the spot kick low and hard to the keeper's left, but Coelho - who was booked for her original challenge - guessed the right way and kept the penalty out.

On 29 minutes the visitors doubled their lead after a lightning counter.

As the Reds pushed forward, Emily Garnier intercepted the ball, skipping in ahead of her opponent and hitting a long clearance.

Lauren Allan raced in behind Adelaide fullback Emily Hodgson and took a touch before firing past the onrushing Annalee Grove.

Adelaide should have pulled a goal back in first-half injury time when Nanako Sasaki drilled a free kick from wide on the right towards the back post.

Jenna McCormick met the cross perfectly and powered a header from point-blank range but it was brilliantly saved on the line by Coelho.

Five minutes into the second half, Worts wasted a golden chance, failing to get the ball out from under her feet right in front of goal after a perfect cross from Isobel Hodgson.

But, the Reds did not have to wait long to halve the deficit, making it 2-1 on 52 minutes.

Substitute Emilia Murray broke down the right and crossed into the area, with Worts' touch inadvertently teeing up Katie Bowler whose sweeping shot nestled into the net.

Worts continued to threaten and on 72 minutes cut inside from the right and curled in a left-footed shot only for Coelho to tip the effort onto the post at full-stretch.

After peppering the Jets goal for much of the second half, Adelaide finally got their reward on 88 minutes.

Substitute Chrissy Panagaris lofted in a cross from the right for Murray to ghost past her defender at the back post and turn the ball past Coelho with a deft touch.

Newcastle remain second from bottom, but coach Gary van Egmond was ultimately pleased with a battling performance.

"The girls worked hard, tried as hard as they could," he said.

"Unfortunately we couldn't get the win but the performance overall was a step in the right direction."