Geelong coach Chris Scott has revealed forward Paul Chapman is likely to settle for a one-year contract after the three-time premiership player had previously voiced his desire for a two-year deal.
Speaking at Simonds Stadium on Wednesday, Scott said Chapman, 30, is welcome to stay beyond 2013, but the club is opting to be cautious of signing players on extensive deals after 12 years of football.
"I read some comments attributed to him (Chapman) this morning and they made perfect sense to me," Scott said.
"He'd like to play for a little bit longer than one year, and we'd like him to as well.
"We'll just do it in one-year contracts."
Chapman had indicated over the weekend that as long as he was not being short-changed by the club, he was happy to sign a 12-month contract and aim to extend it.
Scott said he does not know whether the 2009 Norm Smith Medallist has yet signed.