Britney Spears's memoir The Woman in Me has been out for a little over 24 hours, and it's already setting records!
It’s happening ✨🤓📖 !!! My book is the highest selling celebrity memoir in history and it’s only day 1 !!! Thank you to the fans who have been so supportive !!! Love you all 🌹 !!! #TheWomaninMe @gallerybooks @simonandschuster pic.twitter.com/62ti4sUb4h
— Britney Spears 🌹🚀 (@britneyspears) October 25, 2023
Gallery Books/ Twitter: @britneyspears
As someone who read the book in, like, 12 hours, I can say it's devastating, heartwarming, and inspiring. But some people would be surprised to learn that it's also very funny.
People forget that Britney Spears is actually a really, really funny person!
1.First off, let's talk about Britney describing Kevin Federline's failed "music career," if you can even call it that.
Here's what she had to say about that:
Britney Spears shades ex-husband Kevin Federline taking his failed rap career “so seriously” in her memoir:“Bless his heart.” pic.twitter.com/5rhLvFYfGk
— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) October 20, 2023
Vlad TV/ NBC/ Twitter: @PopCrave
2. The book is also full of one-liners. As this person said, "Britney is unbelievably witty and deadpan in her humor."
Also, her humour shines throughout this book! Britney is unbelievably witty and deadpan in her humour. She definitely has British roots. I couldn’t contain myself at some of her one liners…hilarious!
— SpearLeader (@britney_vault) October 25, 2023
In the book, Britney talked about how she struggled to get out of character while playing the extremely innocent and nerdy character, Lucy, in Crossroads: "All I can say is it's a good thing Lucy was a sweet girl writing poems about how she was 'not a girl, not yet a woman,' and not a serial killer."
I'm so sorry, I know I said I wouldn't post spoilers but Britney's sense of humor is top tier 💀 pic.twitter.com/Bdj19eBFG9
— Mahtab ᴹ♚ᴶ🌹 (@mahtab_ebp) October 24, 2023
Gallery Books/ Twitter: @mahtab_ebp
3. Then there's the story about Justin Timberlake saying "fo shiz fo shiz" to Ginuwine on the streets of New York. This clip of Michelle Williams narrating the scene has gone mega-viral:
Gallery Books/ Twitter: @alex_abads
4. Britney took no mercy when describing how spoiled her sister Jamie Lynn was/is. One particularly funny reference was when she compared JL's upbringing to Ariana Grande's song "7 Rings."
Britney Spears references Ariana Grande’s ‘7 rings’ while criticizing sister Jamie Lynn in her memoir:“That’s how we all were with Jamie Lynn: ‘You see it, you like it, you want, you got it.’ As far as I could tell, her world was the Ariana Grande song “7 rings” come to life.” pic.twitter.com/IIbzHzIE1p
— Pop Base (@PopBase) October 24, 2023
Image Group LA/Disney Channel via Getty Images/ Republic Records/ Twitter: @PopBase
5. Britney is a HUGE Mariah Carey fan (as she should be), and her recalling getting the perfect picture with the elusive chanteuse is very funny: "You know how people have ring lights now? Well, more than 20 years ago, only Mariah Carey knew about ring lights," she said.
— Fan Account (@breatheonmiley) October 24, 2023
Gallery Books /Twitter: @breatheonmiley
This audio clip of Michelle Williams doing her best Mariah Carey impression is very good as well.
Michelle Williams needs an AWARD for this Britney audiobook okay?! Her mimicking THE Mariah Carey has me weak okay?! What has me more weak is this is also how I would feel too meeting Mariah Carey. pic.twitter.com/z4fMuciUAM
— Niccara. (@niccaracampbell) October 24, 2023
Gallery Books/ Twitter: @niccaracampbell
6. I also found Britney's description of her two-week romance with Colin Farrell particularly funny. Her honest (and relatable) descriptions of her encounters were particularly engaging: "Well, talk about balls — I got in my car, and I drove up to the set of his action movie S.W.A.T. Who did I think I was?" she said.
— TheCosmicSpookyDex98 🎃 (@thedex1998) October 24, 2023
Gallery Books/ Twitter: @thedex1998
7. Another thing that was particularly funny was this anecdote Britney shared about her mother's own book, Through the Storm, which she released in 2008, shortly after Britney's tumultuous 2007.
“The last thing I would do would be to cut my hair into a bob and put on a tasteful pantsuit and sit down on a morning show set across from Meredith fucking Vieira and make money off my child’s misfortune” pic.twitter.com/GUaC5KqXzt
— Philip (@phi_rez) October 24, 2023
8. The last thing I'll share for now is Britney's recollection of her iconic 55-hour marriage in Vegas which is definitely one of the book's funnier moments. The whole thing was never that deep! She was "just honestly very drunk."
Probably the most relatable thing I’ve ever heard. pic.twitter.com/pewm04A3Ea
— Jarett Wieselman (@JarettSays) October 24, 2023
Gallery Books/ Twitter: @JarettSays
That's a brief taste of Britney's humor, but you can check out the book for yourself on Amazon.